Chamfers, Big Ones

Bill Satko

DSCN0538.jpgDSCN0539.jpgDSCN0540.jpgDSCN0541.jpgDSCN0542.jpg
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN0544.jpg
    DSCN0544.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 47
Bill i think them old woodworkers of back in the day would turn in their grave if they saw them chamfers. They way too precision for what i have seen come out of old days neader woodworking.:D

Just kidding nice work.;):thumb: That has all the making of a bench vise or am i mistaken?

Bill I want to see a Tut as to how ya did the chamfers with hand tools ???

It would not be much of a tutorial as all I do is pencil a line on each face in order to make sure each leg is even. On really small chamfers I don't bother to pencil in any lines, I just eyeball it. I then just start planing until I have a single facet between the lines. It is really very easy. In one of the pictures you see a spokeshave. I used that to hog off as much material I could on these larger chamfers before moving to a plane. If I had a drawknife and the grain was a little straighter I would have tried that to hog off the material. Oh one other thing, I do the end grain first.

I think using a plane or spokeshave is easier than a chisel. The chisel has to be very sharp (of course!) and you really have to watch the grain. I only use a chisel when I don't have room for a plane.

very nice bill,, now show us how the inset holes were made:) the face side looks excellent:)

As you can see below the chop was glued up from two 1-1/2 thick hard maple slabs with a recess for the chain routed out prior to glue-up with a tailed router for one side and using the drill press for the other.

DSCN0534.jpg

The holes were then drilled on the drill press, but the complications were that they are stepped, so that I started with the larger bits first and progressively went down in size using the dimple left over from previous drill. There was still some slop in the dimple to move the drill bit, so I had to do some very careful checking to make sure it was centered.

DSCN0544.jpg

The little square you see in two of the holes is the access for a keyway that holds the chains sprockets on. It's length is actually an 1-1/2", but the picture makes it appear much shorter. I laid the key down and then marked with a pencil the outline for a cuts I made on each side with a hack saw blade. Just like you would hand saw a dado. I then took a very small chisel I had modified for a previous project and wasted out the center. Here is a picture of the vise hardware to give you an idea of what I am talking about.

Attachments

• Vise.JPG
    Vise.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 22