Hello from Bakersfield - Question on Maloof pedestal base

I could have sworn that I saw an article recently in a woodworking magazine on building a Maloof style pedestal for a table. Now I can’t find it. Did I dream it or can someone help me?

Thanks.

Tom,
In the Fall of 2005 I was lucky enough to get into a class with Sam at his shop in Alta Loma. During the Class he covered among other things as to how he made his pedestal table. I did a post on the process and posted it here. LINK If you have any question please feel free to post them and I will be glad to answer them.

Oh yes and welcome to the forum

It is a sad thing. I lived about 5 miles from Sam. I have had dinner at his house. A girl that lived a couple houses north of me was dating on of Sam's apprentices. A couple of my good friends purchased some of his furniture. And I ignored it all! At that time woodworking was, to me, building a work bench, putting a railing on the back steps, building pigeon pens, etc. WHAT A WASTED OPPORTUNITY. Another sample of good old hindsight.

Enjoy,

Jim

Thanks for the reply. One of the issues I was really curious about was the radius of the cove on the pedestal core. Your post says you used 1/2" radius. How did that work asthetically? Is that what Mr. Maloof used? How did you clean it up and blend it into the legs?

Thanks for the reply. One of the issues I was really curious about was the radius of the cove on the pedestal core. Your post says you used 1/2" radius. How did that work asthetically? Is that what Mr. Maloof used? How did you clean it up and blend it into the legs?
Yes he did then after assembly I took Sam's lead and used a rasp to get the cove to blend into the legs. He used rasp's a lot in the final shaping of his work.