Not a good day

Don Taylor

Former Member (by the member's request)
Well, today was suppose to be a gloat day for me and it turned out to be a bummer instead.

Back in December, I ordered the Powermatic 209HH 5 hp, 1ph Planer with Byrd Shelix Head. I got a call saying it would be January. In January, I got a call saying it would be Febuary. In Febuary I got a call saying it would be March.

I got a call yesterday saying that Powermatic had shipped "one" unit and the rest would be shipped in April. Turn's out that unit was mine and my seller didn't even know it had been shipped. It was in Jacksonville and would be here tomorrow (today). He told me to call and make sure the lift gate was set up and if not to call him and he would take care of it.

I called the shipping company and they assured me the liftgate was all set up. Today, the truck came aroun noon-30 and the guy says You don't have help? I don't have a lift gate. Gr-r-r-r-r-r (Like I was going to ask friends to unload an 800lb planer off a semi :confused:)
After explaining and knowing I would have to wait until tomorrow, he called and found there was a liftgate here in the same area. They met and switched the planer onto the liftgate truck and came back around 5:30 PM.

The guy was really nice but in a BIG hurry. Had another delivery he said. He put the planer in the shop and I tipped him the $10 I usually give them if they put the big tools in my shop.

So-o-o-o-o I used my sky hook and pulled the wooden crate off the planer. I cut the plastic wrap. OOP'S what's this.... Chunks of metal in the plastic.

Lookie what I got:

100_1343.jpg

100_1341.jpg

100_1340.jpg

:eek:
Bummer huh?

DT

Geeze Don, that sucks! Looks like some busted inserts, what did they hit? Any other damage? At least they didn't try to wing it without the lift gate and drop it on the pavement!

Still I bet you'll love it once its fixed! Cuts smoooth I hear, and no more fussing with knife heights.

John

Whoa Don, what a bummer. I hope they can redirect unit #2 to you so you don't have to wait another three months.

What shipping company was it?

I can't believe how the shippers seem to just not give a d**n. I think about half of my Festool stuff arrives damaged and they package to the max.

I'll bet that will be one sweet machine when PM eventually does right by you:thumb:

Surely the metal hood was covering everything up?

Wonder if someone got carried away with the impact gun tightening those cutters up:huh:

Bummer. As much of a PITA as the first shipment was, I think I'd be inclined to just pull the head out and have them swap it. Has the seller seen the pics yet and addressed this?

Man that sucks big time.
I like Steves theory bout over torque in assembly but man how could the metal chunks get in the plastic wrap. Wasn't it in a crate? And those heads must of come from Byrd to PM???

I would say a quick call to PM to explain the busted cutters. Surely this isn't something from the shipping. PM could have new cutters to you in no time.

[size=+1]The way those cutters are 'randomly' broken - not all in a row - and the fact that they all seem to be broken on the back, non-cutting edge, I'd guess that whoever installed the inserts in the head over torqued them.

If they'd broken from cutting impact, the leading, cutting, edges would be fractured, and if something was dropped on them, they'd likely all be broken in a row.

I think you have a case of bad quality control in the assembly area.

On the good side, it looks like a handful of new inserts will solve the problem. Just be careful when you torque the new ones dowm...[/size]

I called my seller. I told him the broken chips are all the way around the head. This thing had to be running when it happened. The chips were probably all over the machine when they wrapped the plastic around it in Chi-Wan.

I told him under no circumstances would I replace chips or the head. For what I paid for this machine they can pick it up and bring me one worth the money. I have been chastised for my views concerning this very thing on that "other" forum. I just "will not" pay this kind of money for a machine, wait this long and then rebuild it for them.

If I have to wait too much longer I'll send this one back and go with Steel City.

The shipping company was Southeastern Freight. They have been very good in the past but that guy was in a real hurry to leave here.

Powermatic comes shipped in a real wooden crate. There was no damage to it that I could see. They could have dropped it straight down when they moved it from one truck to another and if they were over-torqued...

I am still inclined to believe that this thing had to be spinning for this kind of damage to occur. MANY of the chips are not broken but have gouges in the leading edges like it hit a nail or something.
The guy I am dealing with will take care of it for me. He has the pictures and will call me tomorrow. He's been great to deal with.

When all is said and done I'll make a report and tell you who he is. Now is not the time.

DT

Last edited:
That is a real bummer Don. I hope that you get things straightened out SOON.
(but, I guess that it could take another 3 months. :( )
I does look like you will, eventually, have a great machine. :)

Jim, you make good sense, why would the back be the most broken? Hm-m-m-m-m-m-m I didn't make that connection.
However the nicks in the cutting edges look like a spinning damage?

DT

They are broken on the back as Jim says, non cutting edge.
Its set up like my 20" grizzly. Plastic cover over the head is on the outfeed side. So I do not see that it was running to break the inserts.

I can see that now Steve, being all the way round like that it was my first thought though. It sure is a mess.

DT

Sorry Don - what a bummer. When it's all said and done, looks like you'll have one sweet machine though. You'll be like a kid in a candy store when you get it all working.

Thanks Tim, Yes, I sure am looking forward to that. I'm totally in love with this jointer. :rofl: Kinda kinky huh? :dunno:

DT

That's a bummer Don. Think I might take up drinking after waiting that long and then having that kind of a problem. :( :bonkers:

I don't think that machine came from the far east with the shelix head in it. I would guess that the head was installed somewhere here in the states, possibly by a 800 lb. gorilla with a sledge hammer and a 120 ft/lb. air ratchet.

After what I've gone through changing the head in my X-31, I wouldn't recommend going that route. The cutters are fairly simple to change out, so I'd make them give me enough cutters to replace all of the cutters, plus some extras, and some kind of refund for taking your valuable time to do so.

Well, that's my $1.398 worth of advice for today. Keep us updated.

Karl

Bummer Don - that has to have hurt after waiting so long. I'm on the overtightening side of the question. Looks like someone really hunkered down on those set screws.

I don't know, I keep breaking and bending tips rying to get mine tight enough...never tried the impact gun idea though. Thanks :rofl:

looks like it took a shot. Good one too.