Saw bench/storage

Not sure if this is in the proper section, but it is an accessory of sorts...

Watching all of the shop builds/re-org's etc., inspired me enough to get off my rump and attempt some needed improvements of my own. As everyone well knows, storage space is vital, especially to those of us with small shops. Trying to have everything at hand in a convenient way, while allowing our machines the needed/desired footprints, can be easily used as an excuse for our thinning hair. Well...I'm starting my resurrection with my RAS set-up. I've never liked the stand it came with, half fast sturdy at best, and lots of wasted space. I'm quite happy with the saw itself for what it is, it is!

Anyways, here's where I'm at after a couple of days of trashing my shop... moving, sorting and tossing all of those 'must have' treasures. I've decided on a wall bench with drawers &/or shelves to allow much better storage of the remaining 'treasures'. And, to allow some real stock support on top for the RAS. Also giving a tip of the hat to Glenn & Brent for their inspiring flip-top creations. I'm attempting to include my own version for use of my little 'ol 16" scroll saw.

I'm also planning on replacing my band-saw stand with a cabinet type stand, but knowing me & my work ethics, this will probably all become some sort of an extended 'table' build ;):p:D

It's not quality furniture for sure, but for my shop, it'll do :rofl:......I'll post more as the progress allows...Have a Happy New Year celebration & stay safe!

before shot...
1.jpg

starting off shots...
2.jpg 3.jpg

4.jpg 5.jpg

Looking good Ken. I'm interested to see the tool that goes on the flip top once its in place. Those lower portions areas offer a great opportunity for drawers or pullouts.

Looking good Ken. I'm interested to see the tool that goes on the flip top once its in place. Those lower portions areas offer a great opportunity for drawers or pullouts.

Thanks Glenn & :rofl: I'm looking forward to seeing it as well...it's been a real head scratch-er so far, trying to take into account the table-top and the corresponding reverse side along with the machine height...let's just say, 'if you smell something burning, it's just my thought process' :eek::doh:

Thanks Glenn & :rofl: I'm looking forward to seeing it as well...it's been a real head scratch-er so far, trying to take into account the table-top and the corresponding reverse side along with the machine height...let's just say, 'if you smell something burning, it's just my thought process' :eek::doh:

I know that smell well :thumb:. A math major, I was not. Who knew all that all that stuff would become practical when I grew up. I have gotten good service out of MDF boxes full of drawers. Simple rabbet and dado joinery. They are modular and can be re-purposed as things change. After seeing some of Gary Z's shop cabinets I am starting to lean back towards pullouts though. If things get too dusty a quick shot with an air gun will clean things up :D.

Attachments

• Shop Tour 2011-10-19 (32).jpg
    Shop Tour 2011-10-19 (32).jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 96
  • Shop Tour 2011-10-19 (34).jpg
    Shop Tour 2011-10-19 (34).jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 100
Looking good Ken. Next to my RAS I'm using a doner cabinet and top (for now) that has a sink hole cut in it, so was looking for ways to fill the hole, that tool flipper gives me some idears...Thanks! :thumb:

I think flip tops are great ideas, but the one you built, Im trying to think what machine you will place on there.
It seems there is very little clearance(height wise) and Im thinking if the machine is that small, its light enough to just put on a shelf underneath the counter top extension(for the RAS)
Just my thoughts out loud.

I think flip tops are great ideas, but the one you built, Im trying to think what machine you will place on there.
It seems there is very little clearance(height wise) and Im thinking if the machine is that small, its light enough to just put on a shelf underneath the counter top extension(for the RAS)
Just my thoughts out loud.
I am wondering the same thing unless that bench is deeper then it looks in the picture

:eek::eek::eek::rofl: If I had to measure for a living, it wouldn't be pretty :(:rofl:...somehow I subtracted 6" instead of adding it... It's an old craftsman 16" with the cast base, not real heavy, just thought this would be convenient... so I improvised an addition, which, on the plus side, will allow me some leg room if I use the bar stool for sit-down sessions...Guess I'll quit for the weekend, that way I won't make anymore mistakes this year! :rolleyes::doh:

6.jpg7.jpg

... I'm looking forward to seeing how you do yours;)

Me too Bob,:huh::rofl:
This flying by the seat of my pants is getting quite old...bout time I accept the fact that I really need to draw out plans before diving in :eek:

I had already planned a bump-out directly in front of the RAS to take advantage of the full potential of the carriage/arm, now I'm wondering if I should bump-out the other end to make it look planned or concentric{<is that the right word?} :(

Gonna have to take this up with the board.... Bud, Jim, Jack & and maybe even Johnny, I get those guys on the rocks and usually the solutions start a flying :D

thats the problem, I dont own a scroll saw, and I never realized how short they are.
I think you came up with a great idea, now that I see the equipment youre putting on there.

If I dont get the new space Im hoping to get next year, Im going to move my lumber rack to the other side and open up a bit more space for myself. Im thinking of making a flip table for my mortiser and tabletop drill press, one that will be on castors and I can roll aside since I dont use either machine that often in my daily activities.

Well...I got back at it today. Started out with a carcase for some drawers...Trying to use as much shorts and scraps as possible {read as 'cheapskate/po-boy' lol}. This is only 1/2" bc ply & 1x6 pine, but it's weight capacity per drawer will be light duty stuff. I put it on casters, but, I going to change them, as all I had on hand were the straight-line type... gonna spring for some swivels.

Like I mentioned earlier, not fine furniture, but for this old hack I like it {so far ;)} specially considering how little moo-la I have in it...still need to make drawer pulls and a handle for pulling/pushing it in & out, & a final sanding and sealing.

Also, before I called it a night, I rough cut the top layers for one section of the bench top, but need to route them flush. I'm going to build the top it in 3 sections, with the middle one easily replaceable when needed.

Not a lot of progress, but today was the annual 'taking down the holiday decorations' day. Add onto that, the mess I'm working around in the shop, and, the fact I'm flying by the seat of my pants...gotta say I'm satisfied {again..."so far"}.

If nothing else...at least I'm giving you plenty of pictures and something to laugh/talk about :rofl:

8.jpg 9.jpg
10.jpg11.jpg
12.jpg13.jpg
14.jpg15.jpg

How are you going to lock your flip top Ken. Not that I'm going to copy your idea :p

I haven't got that far in the thinking process yet Bob, that's why I switched over to working on the drawers posted above...have a couple of ideas coming into focus, one being some sort of levered action push-pull with block stops activated from the front face of the top, and another with maybe a spring loaded pin or two :dunno: I had also thought about dovetailed slide type locks routed into the top, but I think they would be easily hampered by sawdust, and doing them on the underside would be a pain reaching the back{wall} ones...Can you feel the suspense? :rofl::rofl:

Very cool... Gave me some great ideas for my radial saw that I'd never thought of. Someone else had mentioned integrating it into a table, I like the looks of what you have done so far. :)

I have the same radial arm saw and would like to build that extension... any plans? Or do you have some dimensions? I know it looks fairly self-explanatory, but I want to do it right (I'm pretty much a newbie). Thanks!

I'm looking to build a stand for my !950s Craftsman 113.27520 table saw. I'd also like to build extenders to either side of the saw, giving it a much larger workspace. Any suggestions? I've seen some excellent work, but no plans or hints on how to do it... I'm pretty new to woodworking. Thanks!