Happy New Year Everyone!

Stuart Ablett

I'm at work, it just ticked over to 2012 here in Japan :thumb:

Tomorrow morning, I'm going to get on my bicycle and cycle 60Km, or about 40 miles to our friend's house, my wife and daughter will be driving down in the van. Should take me about four hours, depending on if I get lost again:D and how hard I want to push it. We'll stay over at their summer house, then help them get ready on the 2nd for their big Shin Nen Kai, which is a "Welcoming the New Year" party, it is always a lot of fun! As I rode my bike down I'll not worry about eating a bit too much or having a few adult beverages :rolleyes: Heck I might even ride back on the 3rd if the weather holds!

It should be +10C/50F and sunny for the ride tomorrow, I just hope the wind does not kick up, as I picked the coastal route. Should be next to no traffic tomorrow as well.

All the best in 2012!!

Stu

Tomorrow morning, I'm going to get on my bicycle and cycle 60Km, or about 40 miles to our friend's house, my wife and daughter will be driving down in the van. Should take me about four hours, depending on if I get lost again:D and how hard I want to push it.
It should be +10C/50F and sunny for the ride tomorrow, I just hope the wind does not kick up, as I picked the coastal route. Should be next to no traffic tomorrow as well.

And Happy New Year to you also, Stu! 60k in 4 hours? That seems like a pretty easy pace. Is it a hilly route?
The weather sounds great.

...art

Tomorrow morning, I'm going to get on my bicycle and cycle 60Km, or about 40 miles to our friend's house...

...It should be +10C/50F and sunny for the ride tomorrow, I just hope the wind does not kick up, as I picked the coastal route. Should be next to no traffic tomorrow as well.

If you get a chance a picture or two of what the roads and scenery look like on your bicycle route would be interesting. I am curious as to what the riding would be like around your area.

And Happy New Year to you also, Stu! 60k in 4 hours? That seems like a pretty easy pace. Is it a hilly route?
The weather sounds great.

...art

A bit of hills at the end, but no, not really, but you have to remember, this is city riding, get that, the WHOLE ROUTE is riding through the city, only one small area, maybe 2 or 3 Km long are there no houses, gas stations, or shops on the side of the road, seriously, all them traffic lights slow you down. The first time I did this route, in October of 2010, it took me 5 1/2 hours, about 4 1/2 hours of actual riding time, but I got lost, twice and stopped a lot, I was on my old MTB and I was not in nearly as good bike shape :eek: I hope to really cut that time down, but who knows, if traffic is light (it should be!) and I keep the pace up, maybe I'll do it a lot faster, but, it is not a race, I'm out for a nice Sunday ride :thumb:

If you get a chance a picture or two of what the roads and scenery look like on your bicycle route would be interesting. I am curious as to what the riding would be like around your area.

Not much to see, mostly city and industrial stuff, but I'll try to take a few pics with the iPhone.

Cheers!

Same back at ya, Stu. Also, for all here, I hope we all have a healthful 2012 with NO hospital visits. I for one have spent enough time there to last year to last a life time. Total cost w/o adjustments is in the neighborhood of $250,000.00. More than I have. Even with insurance, it is going to just about wipe out our retirement savings. Won't be completely broke; got social security comin' in and a small pention. With that we hope to keep the house, have food to eat, and money for meds, and utilities. I am going to have to sell a lot this year (in a STILL down economy) for any extras.

MY THOUGHTS ARE WITH ALL WHO HAVE HAD MISFORTUNE THIS YEAR AND HOPE THINGS GET BETTER FOR YOU NEXT YEAR!

bruce

Have fun on your ride Stu. That's something I want to do more of this next year. I still use an old (30 year old) JCPenny 10 speed bike that I still ride. It's not much but it get's me out.

... the WHOLE ROUTE is riding through the city, only one small area, maybe 2 or 3 Km long are there no houses, gas stations, or shops on the side of the road, seriously, all them traffic lights slow you down.

:bonkers::bonkers::bonkers:

Oh my. That was totally unexpected. For me, the "worst" part of my long distance rides is the first and last 5km when I am getting into and out of the city. City driving sure does slow you down.

Actually back when I was training for a long ride, it was very illuminating to discover just how "quick" a bike is in the city compared to a car. In the country the car zooms well faster than the bike, but in the city with all the lights and traffic, I found that a bike is only about twice as slow.

...art

ps: Bruce, words fail me. I hope things improve next year!

What a great ride, nice and easy, tried to keep my HR down to keep in the fat burn zone. Did 61Km in 3 hours 23 min. Average speed 23.5 Km/h.
LOTS not traffic lights and I stopped at nearly all of them! Really I did!
Saw a fellow cyclist almost get T-boned, because he ran a light, another foot and he would have been a hood ornament!!
I think I'll ride back on the 3rd for sure!

Cheers!

Just for Art...
6a1bba8a.jpg

e364fcbf.jpg

... To give you an idea of the scenery along the way.
Seriously like that the whole 60 Km....