Block plane/ low angle block

Dave Black

I am pondering getting a block plane, I have a stanley 120 but I'm not too fond of it, it doesn't fit my hand well and I hate the lever to adjust the blade. I think that I want a low angle rather than a standard because I mainly would use it for trimming drawbored tenon pegs and through tenons. I was looking at veritas and lie nielsen but they are a little more than I want to spend. I see that the wood river and stanley are decently priced. I think that the woodriver has the IBC blade that Stu likes. The stanley has a thick A2 blade, not sure how it compares to the others. I thought about getting a used stanley and getting a good blade but thats about the same price as the wood river. Thoughts?

Dave, a vintage Stanley 60 1/2 can be had for fairly little, $25-35 or so. Less if you get lucky at a garage /estate sale. You can then put a thicker blade from any of the good vendors on it if you wish, but you do not need to. You could post a wanted to buy here, and see if you find one.

I would not buy an Asian made Wood River myself. I'd rather have an older USA made Stanley, or a new USA made Lie-Nielsen [or Canadian Veritas]. I can assure you that any of those will be worth close to or more than what you pay for them in the future, I wouldn't believe that on the Wood River.

Another option for you would be to buy the smaller LN 102, low angle block plane in iron, that goes for about $95, including shipping here:
http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/html_p/A221.htm

It lacks an adjustable mouth, and you adjust the blade laterally by tapping or shifting it gently, but it is one sweet plane.

I have no financial interest in any of the above.

I picked up the wood river yesterday and sharpened it up then tried it out. It worked great until I tried it on some end grain and the edge on the iron just kinda crumbled. I figured this was no good since a low angle plane is kinda made for end grain, its going back tomorrow.

If your considering used, contact Walt at Brass City Records. www.brasscityrecords.com Walt is a rare man, total took junkie and will not lead you astray. He buys and sells old tools and I will buy from him without hesitation. If you are not happy he will do what ever it takes to make it right and I have always found his prices more than reasonable. But I do suggest calling him and telling he what you want. He has a lot of stuff that is not on his web site.

Last edited:
My favorite older block plane is the Stanley 65. Both types of lever cap were used on the 65, but my preference is for the (harder to find) knuckle joint cap. Fo my tastes, the 65 is very well balanced, and just the right size and weight. YMMV.

BTW, a Hock iron pretty much improves any plane (with the possible exceptions of LV and LN)

The iron in your Wood River shouldn't have folded. Their steel is purportedly better than that. What angle was it sharpened at?

I sharpened it at the factory angle, didn't check what that was though. I did read of a similar problem someone else had, they ground back the iron some and said it got better but I figured if I did that and it didn't help I would be stuck with the plane. I am looking for a stanley 65 with knuckle cap( the wood river has a knuckle cap and I really liked it) but they aren't as popular as the 60 1/2

Would you look for a vertical adjustment post model with a lateral adjuster or do you find a the "standard" depth knob sufficient?

Would you look for a vertical adjustment post model with a lateral adjuster or do you find a the "standard" depth knob sufficient?

"Standard" works quite well for me. A light mallet tap is all the lateral adjustment you'll need. After all, about the only time you'll use the lateral is right after sharpening and reinstallation.

BTW, have you looked at the Veritas "Apron" plane? Great little tool, for sure!