QUILTED MAHOGANY "THE TREE." GOING....Going...?

Hi Bob
Regarding your thought that you may have 20 BF of "the tree" it may be true but the time frame, if it really is 30 years, may be a bit early. A picture of the whole board along with a good quality close up would give a guide. Where is Bera Hardwoods located?
The only true way to authenticate the QM is to see it. There four or five other people other than me who could verify it.
If it truly is "the tree" I am interested in the board.

Since my post - going going gone everything of substantial size has gone to guitar makers. I have some small pieces left.

Bob, email via the web site.

Peter

as a woodworker and guitarist,I see no problem with any maker using this wood. just because the pcs. used will be smaller, detracts nothing from the appreciation of it. Mahogany has been used in top end guitars for many decades,and the more extravagant the wood, the more $$ it'll fetch IF the tone is there. As a biz decision, it was genius.

Hi Peter, I have 2 Boards look like a little over 5/4" stock rough sawn. I haven't even seen them. I don't have a machine I can run them through. I talked to a Luthier supply in California who said he would split 60/40 with me and I was thinking of shipping boards to him as I didn't have any other offers. I don't know as I can resist sanding off the smaller of the 2 just to take a peek. I'll try to get you a picture when I do that. Berea Hardwoods is in Ohio and used to be a source of really interesting woods for me. I was told it was a flitch from what's referred to as the tree when I bought it. If it isn't that would be a first after decades of doing business with the guy.Bob

Just thought I would share this as the person I'm building some roll around tool cabinets for is a guitar maker and he sent me a text with a picture of a guitar made from "The Tree" by his friend Tom Ribbecke.
IMG_3027 (1).jpg

I tried posting this last night but I guess it did not go through.

I have placed an original board of Quilted Mahogany on ebay last night. I bought it from Handloggers in 1985. It is 10ft+ x 23" x 13/16"
This board shows 3 of the quilted patterns on one board. It may have been the only one like this.
I have had it stored flat since 1985.
Best of luck to those that may be interested

Bill Cress
973-694-1280

HI Bill

An interesting looking board. Could you post the exact reference on eBay please?

The most important thing is to produce provenance either by invoices or authentication by a recognized authority. If you bought from Handloggers, as I did in 1985, you should still have proof of purchase. Sorry to be so precise but the tree is priced at extra ordinary, and understandable, value.

On a personal and tongue in cheek note I don't think eBay is a viable market place for such rare wood.

Peter

I tried posting this last night but I guess it did not go through.

I have placed an original board of Quilted Mahogany on ebay last night. I bought it from Handloggers in 1985. It is 10ft+ x 23" x 13/16"
This board shows 3 of the quilted patterns on one board. It may have been the only one like this.
I have had it stored flat since 1985.
Best of luck to those that may be interested

Bill Cress
973-694-1280

Hi Peter,
I have wood from "The Tree" available. I have 15 pieces size 11 1/2 x 9 1/4 inches plus 5 pieces 8 x 8 1/2 inches. thickness 1/4 inch I am the original owner of this wood. I also have a 16 x 12 inch box made by Mark Berry for sale of the tree. i also have guitar sets available.
thanks for your interest in this phenomenal specimen of The Tree.
Ed Levine

Quilted mahogany, commonly called “THE TREE” has become legendary since 1965 when it was felled in the Chiquibul jungle. Fine Woodworking featured an article in 1985 relating the astonishing story of “the tree’s” journey and obstacles to be overcome transporting it to the USA.

I have updated the history from 1985 to the present time. If anyone wants a copy please e-mail me – rupert36@gmail.com

The end of “The Tree” supply line is perilously close at hand, so much so, I have been reduced to crafting pieces out of offcuts. Picture one shows an octagonal coffee/end table top using eight 3/8” thick quilted mahogany with contrasting figuring surrounded by Maplewood and inlaid by purchased marquetry. Sanding was to 1000 grit. A one coat shellac finish was applied followed by 12 coats of Mcclusky’s varnish with wet and dry 220 grit sanding between coats.
The final finish copied the old furniture maker’s technique used by Sheraton and Chippendale - light oil combined with very fine rottenstone then hand burnished.

The last hurrah! The initial yield of “The Tree” was 11,000 BF. The finest figuring was either a tortoise shell or attractive waves of golden hue contrasted with browns and reds. To see a finished piece of furniture or a guitar is a dream any lover of wood should desire. The second picture shows part of a panel in an English bar.

My research indicates, after almost a half century, approximately 0.018% of the original tree is left available. Unlike gold and platinum there will likely be no more supply available in our lifetimes. I found one hoarder of wood with a very large board which would market for a modest $135,000. Another source has a beautiful board valued at approximately $110,000. After Mark Berry had his 1986 article published in Fine Woodworking prices raised dramatically to $130.00 BF – now a steel but impossible to buy. Between 2005 and 2008 this rare quilted mahogany changed hands at over $600.00 BF some being traded by a Family Woodworking member. The latest actual sales price for a piece of quilted mahogany suitable for guitar or furniture making was over $1000.00 BF. There is one (the last) board available which would make 4/5 guitars or small items of furniture (Picture 3).
In my estimation with, such a small inventory, current eco concerns and no future supply, prices will double within the next two years.

Anyone owning small pieces of this precious commodity – please let me know?

I have 7 bf of the tree available if you are interested

“The TREE” - Quilted Mahogany 2023

Please read the article published in the Smithsonian Magazine authored by a former Professor of Journalism at Boston University, Ellen Ruppel Shell. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_eEYu6Mr8tmO3BzQc7h40lK-WW2lf43dgcAqhFwYT3w/edit. It really is the complete (well, almost) history of the legendary quilted mahogany tree which I referred to in Family Woodworking in 2013.
By pure accident, I was the world's largest retail purchaser of “the TREE” in 1984 (1050 BF).
Good news, bad news! Bad news, supplies are dwindling. A group has recently toured the USA looking for usable stock. So the BF price is insanely high.
Good news. I am going to sell the remainder of my stock which is made up of smaller pieces and therefore possibly more affordable.
I had in mind creating objects such as: Jewelry boxes, small cabinets, gun stocks, picture frames, tabletops, and carvings.
Post any ideas.
I have posted a couple of samples and will follow up with separate lots in the coming weeks. Contact rupert36@gmail.com

Attachments

• IMG_0272.jpeg
    IMG_0272.jpeg
    313.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0184.jpeg
    IMG_0184.jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0199.jpeg
    IMG_0199.jpeg
    354.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0342.jpeg
    IMG_0342.jpeg