Very scary morning yesterdaY

Chuck Beland

I went to have coffee with my dad at 3:30 am left at 4:45 driving home the roads were still wet from due. I took the exit for another highway going only 35 mph on the straight away while still on the exit. I blew the drivers rear tire. My car started to spin clockwise. I turned the wheel to the right hard to increase the rate of spin then after 2 seconds I turned the wheel hard all the way to the left to stop the spin. I did a 180° spin right in the middle of the exit ramp & didn't touch either steel barrier so no damage to my car. it took me about 2 minutes of backing up & going forward to get going in the right direction. I can tell you that really got my heart pumping. What a way to wake you up. Had to just about change my shorts when I got home. L

Chuck glad all turned out good. Black ice scares me like nothing else. We had a dose up here the other night and it nearly kept me at home instead of going to a party. I am greatful at times like that that my jeep is all wheel drive but the downside is it has way too much power.

What caused your tire to blow..the ice? or was it just a bad well worn tire?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Chuck glad you did good. Spins can send you into a head on , full rush. Been there done that a number of times, when I was a daring young man LOL

I have not done one on my bike yet and not planning on it .

had something like that happen to me too. on the way to work one morning, hit some black ice. the car started to spin to the right, countered it, then it went to the left, countered it. then it went like that a few more times, then said, aw the heck with this, and decided to give me a few good spins. all this at 7:30 in the morning. wound up with the front bumper about 12 inches from the rail, sitting across both lanes (2 lanes going each way). i looked left for oncoming traffic, but they were about a mile away, and seeing what was happening, slowed down. yup, not as much fun as the tilt-a-whirl, but scary all the same.

Glad it wasn't any worse for wear than you experienced!

I can remember very distinctly my first experience with black ice.

It was when I realized that 4WD is great on snow.....great in mud.......but can ruin your day on ice. Did you know you can spin out at both ends of a vehicle simultaneously?

Guys, Not sure of the reason why. The rim cut through the tire & didn't see anything in it. No nail or other stuff. Car just passed State inspection one month earlier so tires are in good shape. No idea why. I'm just glad my guardian angel was on my shoulder.

About 21 years ago I saw something on the highway that I still can't believe.

I was on I-287 going southbound in the middle lane. I'm about 10 car lengths behind a car which itself is about 10 car lengths behind a small Isuzu Box Truck. It has just started to rain/mist.

The Isuzu is coming up on slower traffic so he begins to change lanes into the left lane and the rear end gets all squirelly. He fishtails once or twice and ends up doing a full 180 degree rotation. He ends up going down the highway backwards. He then hits the brakes fairly lightly to slow down.

The driver of the car between me and the truck must be mesmerized by all this because he then proceeds to hit the Isuzu head on at about a 5 - 10 mph differential.

I of course pull around and keep going. Thinking about it now I probably should have stopped - maybe people were stopping so I didn't feel the need?

Chuck - I'm glad you came through you adventure with only an adrenaline rush.

Cheers

Jim