Cutting Sheet Goods -

Doug DeVore

Hey all-
Project coming up were I will need to cut lots of sheets goods and was wondering what everyone else does? Right now, I usually rough cut using a circular saw & guide and then finish cut on the table saw if the piece is small enough. Every now and then I will cut them on my table saw, but my shop is not big enough to do this on a regular basis (7' ceilings, etc.). I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a festool setup. Sure would be nice, but ouch the price is a little high. Other ideas?

Sure would be nice to find something that is as fast and easy to use as a table saw....maybe I just need to invest some time into creating large infeed and outfeed tables.

I'm still using saw horses, circular saw, and guide. I'll be building in and out feed tables soon for the table saw. I have an out feed roller, but usually don't do anything over 4' x 4' on the table saw if I don't have to.

I use a grid made of of 2x3 that I can set on my workbench and a track saw (EZ).

Track saws are ok, but I don't seem to get the same precision that I do with a table saw.

Depending on the cut, it can also be kind of tricky to reach all the way across a piece with the track saw.

It's just to difficult in my small space to manhandle sheet goods on the table saw.

Brent - precision is a concern of mine too. I have looked at a panel saws (one of the cheaper ones - $1200), but have heard not to expect table saw accuracy out of the cheaper models. I seriously doubt I would pull the trigger on something like that anyways, but I would be upset if it came home and only got guide\circular saw accuracy out of it.

It does seem there are a few more guided saws on the market these days -Makita, Dewalt and Festool. All getting decent reviews too.

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-SP6000...ular/dp/B000UYTKG6/ref=tag_dpp_lp_edpp_ttl_ex
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWS520CK-TrackSaw-59-Inch-102-Inch/dp/B001IMEEEM/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_b
http://www.amazon.com/Festool-TS-55-EQ-Circular/dp/B002UJOKD2/ref=pd_cp_hi_2

I have a low tech deadly accurate relatively inexpensive way to cut sheet goods. But then we tend to favor more expensive faster ways that yield less accuracy. Sighhh....

I have been using a shop made guide for years. I think the quality of your cut (no offense to those who favor Festool or the EZ systems) relies more on your saw than on your "system". I read an article years ago and it still holds true.

Step 1 - Use a circular saw that has an adjustable footplate so that it can be aligned for a true cut.
Step 2 - Align your saw to your guide; any problems, see Step 1.

I made this in a very short period of time to replace the "temporary" one I have been using with good success for years. The only downside is it does not come in multiple sections so the longest uninterrupted cut you can make is determined by how long you make it. Most of us don't want a 100" jig hanging around the shop for those rare long cuts so I made mine a bit shorter ;).

P.s. My PC-MAG circ saw base was not designed as adjustable but, it was made in such a way that I could adjust it by pulling a pin and inserting shim stock. Your saw may offer this possibility. My dad's Makita also was not designed to adjust but, we milled the aluminum foot plate to align it with the blade travel. Not ideal but, very workable for a long time and a relatively lower cost. Spending money is fun too though :).

Last edited:
My issue with accuracy, with a track, or even a shop made guide, is in repeating the cut.

If you need to repeat the cut, you need to measure and place the guide.

Doing that just isn't as repeatable as using the fence on the table saw.

I did make this to help for ripping things like shelves

http://familywoodworking.org/forums...dge-Guide-Ripper&highlight=circular+saw+guide

You do need to be careful when adjusting the cut to make sure that you get the fence set right with the blade, otherwise binding can happen.

With a sharp blade I have no problems with the quaility of the cut, it's really more about the repeatability. I know that the EZ system has accessories to help with that as well. Festool probably does? I don't own one so have never looked...

If I was really cutting a lot of sheet goods, I think I'd probably get/make one those vertical panel cutters.

not sure if this is carols or not..it was mentioned in the article i had searched her name but, from what i have seen of carols stuff what she says works does..i couldnt see the pic earlier brent and had the impression hers was a longer version..

Repetitive cuts will be the same if you do the same thing every time.:thumb::thumb:
But this does come from a guy that spends most of his day making repetitive cuts.:thumb::rofl::rofl:
So I have no problem with my Festool track saw and also thought it a bit pricey but have had no regrets in pulling the trigger.
The other thing is if you have issues with ripping the sheets to the same size you can rip them a bit big and than pass them by the TS in a more manageable size. A good track system will at the very least give you a good straight edge to work with on your TS.

For the last eight years, I have I placed panels onto a sheet of thick foam insulation glued to a sheet of plywood on a set of home-made knock-down saw horses and cut them with a Festoll TS75 track saw. Its very accurate and the cuts are clean.

Sawhorses partly knocked down -small.JPG Sheet good cutting table using knock down saw horses supporting  a sheet of plywood with foam at.JPG

Not forcing Margaret to help me wrestle panels through a table saw has very much enhanced the harmony in our marriage. :)

I have a low tech deadly accurate relatively inexpensive way to cut sheet goods. But then we tend to favor more expensive faster ways that yield less accuracy. Sighhh....

I disagree. (at least on less accurate)

accurate as you set the stop, 1/100 of a mm in 5' on a vertical cut. 1/10mm in 15' on a rip.

317182_2313881617727_1570037517_32286072_1455333426_n.jpg

I recently worked for a week for a shop that I used to work for a five years ago to help them get caught up. I really, really missed my Striebig.
I know, its a step above expensive and not really a prudent purchase for the average hobbiest.

Yes, Brent, I will share. I am not currently set up to take pictures of this in the shop here in Nevada. Some of what I need is not yet set-up and some is still in Arizona. But I have some pictures somewhere. I'll look later.

What I have is a 'system.' First part of the 'system' is to be willing to dedicate a circle saw and blade to the project. That's for consistancy of measurements. I don't want to have take panels and recut them on the table saw to get to the desired size and to get them square. Then be willing to use whole numbers in the measuring. That mean millimeters and a calculator if you just have to use fractions. I'll work on an 'article' this evening for ya.

There is a time investment, but it is an upfront time committment. Once done, you have your 'system.' I found most folks don't want to make the time investment. But there is no free lunch for any of us.

Yes, Brent, I will share. I am not currently set up to take pictures of this in the shop here in Nevada. Some of what I need is not yet set-up and some is still in Arizona. But I have some pictures somewhere. I'll look later.

What I have is a 'system.' First part of the 'system' is to be willing to dedicate a circle saw and blade to the project. That's for consistancy of measurements. I don't want to have take panels and recut them on the table saw to get to the desired size and to get them square. Then be willing to use whole numbers in the measuring. That mean millimeters and a calculator if you just have to use fractions. I'll work on an 'article' this evening for ya.

There is a time investment, but it is an upfront time committment. Once done, you have your 'system.' I found most folks don't want to make the time investment. But there is no free lunch for any of us.

Sounds very interesting. Looking forward to it. Thanks Carol!

I know, its a step above expensive and not really a prudent purchase for the average hobbiest.

Yeah, but it's a thing of beauty! :D