2012 state fair entry

Dan Noren

Staff member
started working on the plans for it today in sketchup:type:. this is going to be a chess board in a fun and different design:eek:. will post pics as i go along. cannot wait for spring to show up....:D

i heard some where about a saying of walking the walk or saying the talk.. someting like dat:) i think he just to acustom to his better hlafs home town area and got soft on us..

ok, now that i have the wife :blah: and her stuff out of the way :pullhair:, i had to set this aside for a bit while i bottled the 16 liters of honey ale :beer::yes:, and this is as far as i have gotten with it in sketchup:type:

Attachments

• 2012  fair chess board start.jpg
    2012 fair chess board start.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 38
the wife :blah: is sleeping :zzz:, so i managed to get a little bit more done :type:, i've added the frame around the board, and the beginnings of the base. more will be done tomorrow.

Attachments

• 2012  fair chess board.jpg
    2012 fair chess board.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 30
ok, here's the finished version of the project, and a rendered look too.

Attachments

• 2012  fair chess board top view.jpg
    2012 fair chess board top view.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 2012  fair chess board bottom view.jpg
    2012 fair chess board bottom view.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 2012 fair chess board render.jpg
    2012 fair chess board render.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 30
picked up the lumber for the board and base. it's set in stone now, the squares will be some nicely grained walnut, and figured birch, the legs and aprons of the base will be birch, and the unseen supports will be walnut. after giving it some thought, i've decided to go with a 3/16" offsetting strip between the squares and the frame for the board. for the frame surrounding the board, i'm leaning towards a reddish brown or dark reddish wood. i'll have to see what i have on hand at my dad's tomorrow. total cost of today's lumber, $35.

made a couple of modifications to the design. first i added a bit of a downward slope to the frame around the board, thought it would look better. then put a bit of an arc to the bottoms of the supports, to hide the bottom edges. funny thing, they look better, and almost artistic, as well as functional. then i repainted with proper wood textures.

Attachments

• 2012  fair chess board 2a.jpg
    2012 fair chess board 2a.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 2012  fair chess board 2b.jpg
    2012 fair chess board 2b.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 2012  fair chess board 2c.jpg
    2012 fair chess board 2c.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 7
  • chess board mk2 rendered.jpg
    chess board mk2 rendered.jpg