Villian Vrs Companion

if you dont like my duct tape idea, leave a few old slippers and some old blanket laying around and coat them with the foulest tasting stuff that wont harm the dog, just disgust him, and he might not want to taste anymore blankets.

I had an afhgan(not sure of spelling) when I was in high school and lived at my parents home. It ate an essay of mine one night, a very long one that cost me my grade in that class. The teacher had no mercy for me. My parents note didnt help either.
I sometimes thought about walking the dog near the highway and letting him loose.
He was a pretty dumb animal, probably the dumbest breed of dog my parents ever owned.
He bit a few of my neighbors, and eventually my stepdad had to sell him.

Last edited:
well allen maybe the treated blanket would work but i might have forgot to tell you all that his nose is top notch.. and he even can take the lid of a glass antique butter dish lay beside the dish and proceed to eat half the butter in it.. he did forget to put the cover back on before we got home.. the cleaning lady had forgot and left it out on the counter.. so to me he could smell the bad stuff and eat just the good ones:) and those sad eyes of his have melted folks disgust before:)

Larry, I think it is separation anxiety, as has been said by others. I was always really against crates, until we had a dog that was very destructive when left alone. The crate cured the problem, and like Jim said, it can become a comfort to the dog. Until you're able to trust him, seems to me Charlie needs to be crated when left alone. It's kind of like preventing the destructive behavior rather than punishing him after he destroys stuff.

Our personal dogs that we have raised from pups, even the ones we have bred, sleep in a crate at night, and stay in a crate when we are gone for up to 14 months before we really trust them. The rescues we foster usually get out of jail in a few weeks.;) I agree it is either separation anxiety or pure boredom. We lose shoes, blankets and comforters from time to time with the rescue dogs. Just like we did when our pups were young. They will grow out of it in time. But in the crate when you have to leave him at home alone, for any amount of time. That way he learns that ripping up stuff is not what is the proper thing to do. Jim.

as i see it ol son, you have 3 ways to go, duct tape, lose the dog and get a cat, or slip a fairish amount of bourbon in his water dish. with the first, if he can't rip or chew, he won't. with the second, the cat will prefer to sleep on the quilt, rather than rip it up. with the third, if he's too looped to walk, he can't rip anything up either....