flag case

Here's the story. My cousin has served two tours in Iraq as a field medic. On several of his missions on his last tour he carried a small American flag in his pack. When he got home, he gave it and a nice certificate stating what the flag was, where it had been and what he had done with it to me and my son. He'd put it in a plain jane case that didn't fit the flag very well, which I appreciated. flag 007.jpg I however think it deserves something a little better, so I decided to make one out of ambrosia maple and fix it so I could hang it on the wall next to my Dad's burial flag. I'm also going to make a frame for the certificate with the ambrosia maple. Here's a couple of shots with the first coat of finish on. I'm also going to refold the flag so it looks a little better. This was one of the best gifts that I have ever gotten.

flag 004.jpgflag 006.jpg

God bless all that serve and have served the United States!

Last edited:
Triangle Flag Fold

John,

A very nice project for a great treasure.

When I retired from the Air force, my unit presented me with a flag that had been flown over the Capitol and at our base. I could never figure out how they got the star pattern so nice. One of the Chiefs finally admitted the secret. They start with a cardboard triangle that just fits into the frame, position the cardboard on the blue field, slip that into the frame, then pretty much just stuff the rest of the flag in the case behind the cardboard. The real secret is placing the cardboard. They center the top point of the cardboard on the middle star in the second row and fold the flag back behind the cardboard from there. Depending on the relative size of the flag and the frame, you get three or four rows of stars (1, 2, 3, 4 stars in the rows).

Thanks Tom on how they do that. I must have folded that thing at least 5 times trying to get the stars looking better before I gave up. I'll try that little tip.

Your the man Tom! It looks 100% better.

Attachments

• new fold 001.jpg
    new fold 001.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Looks great John. On my first visit ever to US i had one instruction from my Dad. Get me a flag. So i got him a huge one and the guys on my course showed me how to fold the US Flag into a triangle.
Boy i practised and practised but could not remember when i got home to give it to my Dad. flag is now with me for the rest of its journey.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk