LPFM Anyone?

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I'm looking into the feasibility of starting up a LPFM (low power FM) radio station for our church.

It's a daunting task. Lots of information out there. Is anyone here familiar with this topic or, perhaps, has anyone here ever set up or operated a LPFM?

Way to go Rennie. Used to be a kinda hobby/interest of mine way back when. Its certainly not difficult to do especially in the USA with all the kit that is available today. I am way too far out of it to be of any help but its exciting to hear your idea.

I would say though that you should be looking to incorporate it onto the web at the same time. Think of this in two parts.

One the production of content for broadcast and two the various mediums that can be used to reach the audience. FM is only one medium but the web is another just like tv and radio stations have found out. When thinking in terms of a younger audience FM is a thing of the past to some extent given internet radio. So in my view take that into account.

Last edited:
Thanks Rob. We're looking at pushing towards the 100W limit. That should give us about a 4 mile radius (again, if I understand any of this) and reach a potential 60,000 people.

There is so much available in equipment that it's hard to find a good starting point. There are a few operating in Idaho and I have calls into them for info. Still waiting to hear back. If necessary, I'll make the 170 mile trip to visit two of the closer ones.

I guess that would be similar to what my local drive-in theater has :dunno:

Yes, but they probably operate under Part 15, meaning the station is of such a low power and limited range that they do not need a license to operate. Much like the low power transmitters that are used to broadcast information about a home for sale. You can listen as long as you are close to the house, but it fades quickly as you drive away.

Rennie,
Many many years ago when SWMBO and I were first married we lived in an apartment and upstairs lived two brothers. One of the brothers would come home late at night turn on his stereo and since the speaker were on the floor of his room and the room was above our bedroom it would keep us awake. I talked to the one brother about it but nothing ever happened. I went down to my local electronics store and bought the parts and made a VLPFM transmitter and one night I played with our stereo until I could determine what station he listened to. The next day before he got home I tuned my transmitter to the proper frequency placed it on the night stand. That night he came home and turned on the stereo. I picked up the transmitter, turned it on and said into the mic "turn down that Radio were'r trying to get some sleep" As I recall it only had a few parts and was very easy to build, now if I can just find those plans. Oh BTW it worked so well we never had a problem after that.