Edge rounding / cornering plane or tool

Dave Black

I am looking for a tool to ease or round the edges of boards, I see that lee valley has a few things that will accomplish that

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=45501&cat=1,41182

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=32682&cat=1,41182

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=64284&cat=1,41182

What do you guys use. I have used a regular block plane in the past but when I was doing a bunch of pieces I ended up with some parts more rounded that others, and depending on how much of a hurry I was in I didn't notice until too late.

router with curved bit.

Dave you know if you want a chamfer lv has a small attachment for the block plane that will give you a chamfer

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

I have been using a router lately but my smallest round over is 1/16" radius which is kinda big for some stuff, I just like the idea of being able to grab a tool and do it quickly without having to setup the router. I usually want a round over, not a chamfer.

Hi,

I have owned and used number one and number two. Yes they work. Yes it is VERY EASY to screw up with them. I would avoid them. Unless you hold them just right they can give different results. They can catch in the grain and pull up a whale of a lot more wood than you want them to. For building a back deck or a set of outside stairs I would try one if I had it. However, I sure would not even let either of them in the same room with a piece of furniture to be wood.

I had two cheap versions of number three (chamfer and rounding) from Rockler. All they built was my frustration. I gave them to Glenn and he couldn't make either of them work well enough that he would use them near furniture quality wood either. I am quite sure he trashed them.

I have never had a problem with Lee Valley. You might try the third one. If it does not work, return it. However, I think that there has to be a better way. If you can get to the wood with a router, use it with a rounding bit. That seems to work all of the time for me. I am sure that Glenn uses a router for this type of thing also. Glenn is the type of person who looks into everything. He reads all of the magazine articles to help him make a decision. When possible he uses scrap wood to try any tool he can beg or borrow before spending his money.

I hope this helped.

Enjoy,

JimB

Hi Again,

Your 8:00 post was not there when I started writing my reply. When all I want to do is soften an edge I use the Sand-Flee Finishing-Mops. I have a 400, a 220 and a 120 grit. If I had only one I would choose the 220. We built a desk for the boy next door to take to college. We finished all of the edges with the 220. It worked great. It is fast and easy to control.

Enjoy,

JimB

I have always used a router and a number of different bits, depending on the size of the roundover

A block plane will do nicely. If you're concerned about matching and accuracy, you can draw pencil lines, and plane to them. If you're looking to make roundovers less than 1/16", then a couple swipes with a plane and some sandpaper will be fast and easy.

well for now I think I will use a combination of a block plane and router. I was afraid that the specialized planes would be prone to tearout.