More Funny Shavings

Bill Satko

These shaving came right off my plane and landed into this pile.

DSCN0640.jpgDSCN0641.jpg

The plane that produced them? My tongue and groove plane. These boards will be used for the shelf under my workbench. This plane produces both the groove and the tongue. Here the tongue is being made.

DSCN0633.jpgDSCN0636.jpgDSCN0637.jpgDSCN0634.jpg

Sharpening the blade about half way through.

DSCN0639.jpg

All done! No electrons were used.

DSCN0642.jpgDSCN0644.jpg

i sense a big gloat and alot of satisfaction latey! it is feeling good to actually be making something in your shop again the way you want to make it huh:)

That plane looks like it it is a joy.

It really is fun to use Jim.

Very impressive! If I could get a plane to do that, I think I'd enjoy planing far more!

I even enjoy flattening boards with hand planes, but I have to admit that it can seem like work, while making special joints like this with a hand plane is just fun.

i sense a big gloat and alot of satisfaction latey! it is feeling good to actually be making something in your shop again the way you want to make it huh:)

No gloat, as I have had the plane for quite a while, but yes, a lot of satisfaction lately. It is only going to get better as I get the shop turned around to the way I want it!

That is really cool and I'll bet you had some soft jazz playing in the background while you were doing it.

Too funny Don, as that is exactly what I was listening to!

You say it does both sides. Do you just simply move the fence over and only use one of the two cutters on the same blade?

Exactly Darren! One end of the fence is a pivot and the other has a lock. You just swing the fence around as you say.

Hi Bill.

I have a wooden plane that makes the same sort of tongue and groove, and I agree it is a joy to use.
I do not want to picky, but I noticed that the end grain of your boards is always (at least on ones shown) facing the same direction, which is not advisable as you will not compensate warping when they get dryer.

Obviously I may be jumping to a wrong conclusion as those boards are not yet glued but I thought I should warn you. If you had it already in mind please disregard.

Like a Stanley # 48, yup the fence rotates. Great tool to have. Nice stealth gloat Mr. Satko.

No, a stealth gloat would have been having its baby brother sitting out at the other end of bench. ;)

I have a wooden plane that makes the same sort of tongue and groove, and I agree it is a joy to use.
I do not want to picky, but I noticed that the end grain of your boards is always (at least on ones shown) facing the same direction, which is not advisable as you will not compensate warping when they get dryer.

No you are not wrong as for the most part I have the bark side as the face side. I picked the best looking side to be up. I am not too worried about it as it will probably be buried underneath planes and bench fixtures. I won't be gluing them down, but nailing them.