new trojan out

New variant of Zeus Trojan targeting bank accounts, FBI warns

A new variant of the Zeus Trojan that can give hackers access to people’s bank accounts is being spread via phishing e-mails purportedly from financial institutions, the FBI warns.

The unsolicited e-mails seem to come from the National Automated Clearing House Association, the Federal Reserve Bank or the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the FBI says in its warning. Clicking on a link in the e-mail sends the recipient to a website where the malware is downloaded.

“The malware is appropriately called ‘Gameover’ because once it’s on your computer, it can steal usernames and passwords and defeat common methods of user authentication employed by financial institutions.” The FBI said. “And once the crooks get into your bank account, it’s definitely ‘game over.'”

well dave .. it would be game over for them becasue i have none in there for them to get:) but seriously the virus software of today are trying to catch that kind of thing before it gets that far..

I'll express my usual shock that anyone would open anything that they did not specifically expect to receive. The internet is not an entertainment center, it is a volatile inferno of hazardous space. All that being said, play carefully and enjoy yourself out there ;-) When I get something that I do not specifically expect from any source, I call them to confirm prior to opening. Over-cautious? Maybe but, this year marks 30 years in the biz and I have subconsciously developed a built-in, knee-jerk preservation reaction to unsolicited material. In 30 years I have been hit by a virus twice. The first time was before we were even sure what one was :rolleyes:. Yes, there were computer networks before the internet :D:D:D.

Thanks for the heads-up Dave, but to add to what Glenn said...

The National Automated Clearing House Association, the Federal Reserve Bank, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, and a whole boatload of other organizations (including the IRS) are NOT going to be sending you email, especially email telling you to click a link within the message. The only way I know of to install a virus on your computer is to click on something.

And if you DO get a message from an organization that you think might be legit (like from your bank), still, DON'T click any links in the mail message. Just go directly to that organization's website and handle it from there.