Pink Jail Shorts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Ken, you didn't misread it, he has made that claim. The claim has also been disputed. No one but those involved can ever really know. Given the fellow's local reputation (lived a couple counties away for almost 20 years), I'd say that "literary license" is a generous way to put it.

My apologies for the first rendition of this post. The gentleman in question is a controversial figure, and is rather despised in some circles. I wish I had a daughter so I could forbid her to mary him (apologies to the late Douglas Adams as well for taking a bit of literary license).

John

(didn't I say I was dropping this? oh well, just don't toss me in Joe's jail)

Hubert, I have a very different take from yours on the news story you share with us, and while the CoC prevent me from refuting the statements presented in that story line by line, please accept my opinions…

I believe that society has both the right and responsibility to remove those who exhibit anti-social behaviors from situations where they may cause further harm to people. I suggest that we use the precious time of an individual’s incarceration intelligently. To subject incarcerated people to demeaning and degrading conditions, in most circumstances simply serves to reinforce the anti-social behaviors that landed them there in the first place.

As an alternative to the punishment/retribution/deterrence model, what if we were to engage prisoners with a healthy lifestyle? Would we be able to nourish them in ways that were severely lacking in their formative years, perhaps because guys like Joe were their fathers?

To Admin. and Mods, that this thread, clearly in violation of the CoC (in my own over-rated opinion), has been allowed to stand is worthy of both explanation and full disclosure of all back room exchanges. We have an election coming up, and we deserve to know every Mods’ stated opinion on this in writing. If this thread is a test, similar to what rats go thru when negotiating a maze, then please tell us that this is the case. Human subjects in that situation typically sign a form in which they acknowledge they are subjects.

Frank Chaffee

I spent my last eight working years as a Prison guard.

Don't get in this.. No, No, NO! Let it be. :eek:

DT

Don,
You must have been on the front line of our social tear for those eight years, and for doing that I thank you. If you don’t want to share what you learned there, it is certainly your choice and prerogative. However, please do not admonish others to refrain from expressing their views on an open thread.

Thanks,
Frank

Frank, I don't think that Don was "admonishing others to refrain from expressing their views on an open thread." I think he was telling himself to keep quiet.

Just my .02.

Nancy

Why This Thread Was Closed

Before it gets any hotter, I'm going to lock this thread for now, but leave the thread up as an example of why the CoC says what it says. Whether something like this is political or not, somebody is going to take it that way, and then BAM! people are at each other's throats. Life's too short for that.

What chaps my hide is that the original poster did so with no malice or bad intent; he was simply sharing what he considered to be an interesting story. It could have survived nicely had people had the self-restraint to walk away from something with which they disagreed. Or at least had the control and courtesy to disagree without condescension. When people start putting each other down for their beliefs, problems start.

For the record, I personally didn't think the initial post was political, and thus was within the CoC. That's simply one person's opinion and it's clear others had different opinions. The mods were of mixed opinions on it. If they want to share their opinions they can. My primary reason for locking it is that the rhetoric was turning into personal attacks and insults, which are in violation of the CoC.

And Frank Chaffee, if you want to see the "back room exchanges" going on in the Mods area then get yourself elected to the post. And yes, this was a test. Every day here is a test. If you feel like a rat in a maze, you're putting WAY too much thought into this whole thing.

Now, can we get back to woodworking? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.