6" atlas jointer

Davey Hunter

I have an atlas 6'' jointer from 1950 could anyone tell me how I can get the outfeed table to coplane with the infeed, plus could anyone tell me how tight the spring should be under the infeed table it works very well for short boards but not so good on long boards. I looked on vintage machinery .com but i could only down load manual but that does not tell me how to get tables in coplane any help would be appreciated

Dave

I have an atlas 6'' jointer from 1950 could anyone tell me how I can get the outfeed table to coplane with the infeed, plus could anyone tell me how tight the spring should be under the infeed table it works very well for short boards but not so good on long boards. I looked on vintage machinery .com but i could only down load manual but that does not tell me how to get tables in coplanar any help would be appreciated

Dave

By co-planar, I'm guessing you mean parallel to one another, meaning that the tables' outer edges have sagged over time. On that old jointer, you'll likely have to loosen the gib screws (the ones that hold the tables onto their adjustment rails), lift the ends of the tables, and insert shims to bring them up to parallel. Usually, it doesn't take a lot of shimming - just a few thousandths worth. If you don't have any shim stock handy (most folks don't) cut some shims out of beer or pop cans. They're generally somewhere around 0.005" (0.127 mm). You'll likely only need one or two on each side of each table.

I don't know what you mean about a spring on the infeed table. Are you talking about the 'pork chop' guard? It has a spring that you can usually adjust the tension on from underneath the table. I don't know of any spring that's on the infeed table itself, though.

underneth the infeed table there is a heavy spring at least it says it is a spring according to the old manual exploded view with a bolt that goes through it if I tighten it to much I can't raise or lower the in feed table so I was wondering how tight should it be, it is called a cap screw with 1 spring and a washer on each end of the spring. If I knew how to copy link I would do that but I do not
Thanks for your helphttp://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=1112

are you maybe talking about gib screws on outfeed table that is the only one that i can see where you would put shims.
thanks again , sorry to be a pest but i do not know what to do

Davey

I believe that bolt & spring is there to provided tension & should be adjusted to a medium setting or just a bit more.

I don't see where the out-feed table is adjustable according the PDF at the URL you provided.

You'll need to make sure the blades are set the same height as the out-feed table.

You need a good straight edge to check if the tables are co-planer to each other if the out-feed end of the out-feed table is low you may have to shim it if it can be done. It looks like the out-feed table is held on by 4 bolts you may need to loosen the 2 bolts furthest from the cutter head & slip some shims between the bed & base of the joiner.