Latest cutting board

Here's a cutting board I just finished. My SIL ordered it. She actually wanted a flower in th middle of it, but this was about as close as I could come using straight lines. Made from walnut, birch, the background field is eucalyptus of some variety (recovered from some tree trimmers) and a little mahogany accent. I'm pleased with the results but I'm glad it's done, it was a pain. Thanks for looking, Barry

Attachments

• Laura's cutting board2.jpg
    Laura's cutting board2.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 122
That's flat-out awesome, Barry. :thumb: :clap: :thumb:

I've done quilt pattern boards, so I have a good idea of the steps and degree of precision that yours took. Your pattern is very cool, the wood is a great mix, and your execution looks sweet, too. I can't tell from the pic, but is the wood all end grain in orientation?

Again, great job!

Thanks guys! A couple of you had questions;
That looks as though it was a glue-up nightmare. How was it made?
I glued it up in different sections, generally working from the center out. Made the central medallion from a glued-up square about 6" thick, then sliced in 1.5" sections and arranged in a larger square in a 4-way book match. The background was made the same, glued up the background chunk in the shape of one qarter of the background, sliced into 4 pieces, arranged,trimed to fit, and glued, then added the borders and the center circle last.
how did you get all that wood to stay flat in a small package???
Glued small sections separatly, Then put those sections together, then ran trough the 36" belt sander at my work.;)
Too pretty to mar up with knives.
My SIL mostly wants it as an art object to lean up against her backsplash, doub't if it will see much action.
Hey Vaughn, Thanks for the complement, It was actually your post of your quilt cutting boards that gave me the inspiration for this design. I've made quite a few cutting boards in the past but never a complicated as yours. Yea, it's all endgrain. BTW dimensions are 13.5"x19"x1.33". There are pictures of quite a few boads I've made here:freewebs.com/woodwarrior/ Cheers, Barry

Very nice Barry!

Made me laugh a bit about it maybe not seeing much action. A few years ago I made one for my mother. She decided it was "too nice" to use even though she asked me to make a new cutting board...

So after a couple weekends, I laid it down from its home against the back wall under her upper cabinets, took out a 10" chefs knife and chopped up a bunch of garlic for the dinner we were making.

But...mine was no where near as beautiful as this one. Very nice.

Take care, Mike

Barry, That would be a waste to see something that wonderfull carved on. You did a exellent job on that cutting board. Your SIL will love it.
Al

Barry, That would be a waste to see something that wonderfull carved on. You did a exellent job on that cutting board. Your SIL will love it.
Al
That's why they have two sides...one for show and one for using. :D Like Sam said, the "user" side would get a neat patina after a while...especially being end grain.

HOLY COW!

That is some great work. And all end grain....very cool. It is just so cool, I can't stop thinking about wanting to make one for me. On second thought, I let you guys (who can do accurate cuts) do these. I have much to learn.