The Shelf

Bill Satko

Although I cross cut the shelf boards on the table saw, I had to cut them long because of some problems with my cross cut fence, and then true them up with my hand planes. Everything else was done with handtools, so I decided to post this here. It is confusing where to post when your projects are of a "blended" nature.

Here is a picture of the ledger boards that I installed for the pine shelf to sit on.
DSCN0657.jpg

Most of pine boards are pretty straight forward, just fine tuning the length to just fit between the rails and chamfering the ends. The end boards are a little different as you have to cut out for the bench legs. I happened to have two pieces of scrap that were he same width, so I used one to establish the reference space and the other to mark my cutout distance. Then into the vise to hand cut it.
DSCN0659.jpgDSCN0660.jpgDSCN0666.jpg

Here is the finished pictures. I had intended to nail the boards down, but since they are tongue and groove and fit so nice between the rails I am having second thoughts. I think for now I leave it as it, except for applying some finish.

DSCN0676.jpgDSCN0674.jpgDSCN0673.jpgDSCN0672.jpgDSCN0671.jpgDSCN0679.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I am really happy with the vise. I got to appreciate how well it worked sawing out the end shelf's cut-outs. Just a bump of the handle and it tighten the board: another bump and it released it.

That's a cool looking bench.:thumb::thumb::thumb:
Why did you chose to put the shelf at the height you did?

Well there are two possible questions here. If you are asking about the height of the shelf in relation to the entire bench, then the answer is I just made use of the existing stretchers which are a function of this bench design. If your are asking why the shelf does not sit down a little beneath the stretcher tops so that the stretcher acts as a lip, which I have seen with most recent pictures of what others have done, it was a deliberate decision on my part. I did not want something I put down there to get caught on the lip as I tried to pull it out. I felt the edge of the stretcher would be getting all goobered up. That offset any concern about something falling off the shelf. Besides I thought it would look cooler.:)

No I was just asking.:thumb:
If it had been me and I built it from the start the stretchers would have been higher up on the legs say 8 to 10 " off the floor. That way I could put stuff on the shelf and the stuff to good to toss but ya really don't want could go on the floor under the shelf. That is if the bench is stationary. If it has wheels I might do the same just for the ground clearance.:thumb:
as for flat V lip I would be right there with ya on that.:thumb: