Woodworking shows

Tom Baugues

I have been to the Indianapolis version of the woodworking show that travels across our country each year. They always had a $2.00 discount coupon to download to be used on the $10.00 entry fee. Now the price is up to $12.00 per person and you can only use a $2.00 coupon for every two tickets purchased. I always go by myself so I guess I'm out of luck with that now. This is getting pretty expensive as far as I'm concerened. I think they just priced themselves out of a customer.

EDIT: I am wrong about the $2.00 coupon.......it can be used per each ticket.

Last edited:
To me it hasn't been the same since I first started going. First, the biggest vendor at our show, went from a decent vendor, to a glorified HF, before closing up and selling the show stands to other vendors. Then, most things I have gone for, are not available there, they have to ship them to you (and in a lot of cases, you can get it for the same price without going).

Lastly Kreg has a booth, that my father and I go to the show, so he can get his screw order filled. Well last year, they stopped bringing most of his order, and brought the stuff that is easier to find. I was half tempted to go, but just blew that money on a toy car.

Well I hadn't been for several years and intended to go to it in Baltimore a week ago. Wife was going with me for the first time. We were both sick all week so missed it again. Also noticed it took two to get any discount.Still wish I had felt like going. Suspect I saved more than 12.00 by missing it.
Garry

I went to the Portland show abut 15 years ago and have wanted to attend another for a long time. Only once, about 10 years ago, have they been to Boise and that was a disappointment. Every year I semi-plan to attend either the Sacramento or Portland shows, and every year something else is happening and I don't make it.

Depending on your reasons for wanting to go, be prepared to be disappointed. They are no longer what they used to be. Expenses and logistics being what they are, that is not surprising. It is very costly to ship in product and staff a show. Yet attendees expect sale prices over a brick and motor store. Cannot happen any longer, sorry. Said from the perspective of one who used to 'do' these shows as a featured demonstrator. Now demonstrators are brought in by the vendors - sometimes - and you lose the non-biased demonstration. People like me are no longer hired to do a show. OK with me, because I retired from that sort of thing.

Further, manufacturers no longer do the small woodworking shows, spending their money at the big show in Atlanta or Las Vegas once a year. Local vendors are solicited for the woodworking shows and for many that has been a tough sell, because then they have the expense of a brick and mortar store AND the expense of hauling stock to a show and staffing it. Sort of hard to offer bargains under those circumstances.

The cost of getting in is largely due to the cost of the venue (place the show is held) and the cost of parking goes directly to the venue. The promoter used to make their money on the vendor spaces, but the number of them have gone down drastically over the last few years. Thus the profit margin is much reduced from years past.

The reality is that people go to see what is available and for how much. Then they shop for price, usually on the internet. Nothing wrong about that, but no one is in business to lose money.

Shows are fun if you go to meet other woodworking buddies and roam around to get a touchy feely approach to tools. Often you can learn new things and that adds to the fun as well. But don't go to try to save bunches of money on your purchases. Shows don't exist to save you money. Shows exist to make money for the promoters. Bottom line, folks.

Last edited:
We're close to mid-way between Atlanta and Tampa, two locations for The Woodworking Shows this year. We last attended a show 5-6 years ago and are considering going this time. The couple of dollars change in cost is not an issue. We'll probably do the Tampa show because we can stay with friends down there and make a long weekend of it. I'd like to see some of the guys I knew down there but really haven't kept in touch, so mostly it would be to look around and do the touchy-feely on tools I don't need! :huh:

Last edited:
got to agree with the lack of quality in them, went to one in indy several years ago and was over whelemed with it, went to the novi show 2 yrs in a row and the second time it was flop as was the grand rapids shows no vendors as carol points out and the total picture was much less value.. as for a real show the atlanta show the big one if you can get into it would something to see.. or that one that ken werner goes to with the big guys there or there was also one in kentucky near paduka that was a stand out show i believe.. the tool king circuit to me is a waste of time now days.

I went to the one in Springfield, Mass this past Saturday. I have not been in a long time and was, as others, not overly impressed. I spent a long time looking for something to spend my money on but only found a few small things. Lee Valley was there. The Crazy Cannadian was funny and pretty good. Kreg, Carter, Taunton Press, Craft Supplies, Woodcraft and a few others. Several "carnival barker" types also. Not much in the way of great deals though.

The $2 off coupon is good for a single ticket. The wording is confusing though.

Glenn and I went to the Woodworking Shows in Pomona, CA. It really convinced me that I am not going to bother to go to another one.

I went with the attitude of, I'm 87, if I don't spend it the kids will. In other words I was ready to spend. The result was I spent about 30 bucks at Lee Valley for something I was going to order from them anyway.

Enjoy,

JimB

I remember the first few years, there were some pretty good deals through-out the day. I used to take off Friday to go to the show, but over the years they have declined in quality products, so I've not gone in a few years now. A lot of the items I used to go get from the show, I can order on-line now.

The Columbus, Ohio show is this weekend. I haven't been to a show in about 20 years and thought since I had a pretty freed up weekend I might pop in but after I went on the website and looked at the floor layout I decided against going. I was thinking I'd go see what some of the latest offerings are in woodworking tools. Way back when, I remember going and seeing a lot of the big name manufacturers there and you could check under the hood and kick the tires, as it were, but the only manufacturers scheduled for the Columbus show are Porter Cable, Fein, and Dewalt.
I know the trade shows just aren't what they used to be. Like Carol said, cost and logistics and overhead have pretty much put the small shows out of business.