Upcoming project

Tom Niemi

Staff member
There comes the time when you gotta design, so here is what is up my sleeve. This is my first rendition on my entertainment wall, the wall is 16' long with an opening to the front entry way. these will be separate boxes places and installed as built ins. I believe I will be using QSWO for these (OH LARRY:D). I plan on starting these sometime in April and finish...ah...um...well faster than the kitchen:rofl: the first pic is what I used as inspiration, and the jpeg is my version, minus the fireplace and adding a 55" 3D wide screen:D so what ya think? any suggestions, alterations?Wall inspiration.jpgBuilt-in draft.jpg

Tom, that looks great! :thumb:Had to do a double take on that pic for inspiration looks just like my SIL's house, except for the purple paint on the wall and purple rug.:huh:

so if i got this right tom your gonna have this running on the north wall of your living room or the east???

also,, i thought you were gonna remodel the basement shop area first!!!!

Nice, me likey!

So how are you incorporating speakers in the room (assuming you're going with surround sound), also where does the sub-woofer live? Ceiling speakers?

this one is gonna be costly,, he is gettin into my private stash now the ordinary is about used up.. and besides he has competition on this stuff, rennie and me both need a piece of this pie:)

this one is gonna be costly,, he is gettin into my private stash now the ordinary is about used up.. and besides he has competition on this stuff, rennie and me both need a piece of this pie:)
Rennie's got enough for one more project or two. Maybe some tables for the living room. Then? Well, I might have to come back to MI for a visit.

so what ya think? any suggestions, alterations?

First, I love the inspiration of your design and hope you follow that look. The concerns that I have with your initial design is the possibility of it looking out of balance (one side vs. the other) and maybe too top heavy. The top heavy concern may be for nothing if both the TV and the other structure (Shelves?) are set back or if you remove whatever it is sitting on the other case. I think if you remove whatever that is (what is it anyway?) it will also mitigate the balance concern. Things don't necessarily need to be symmetrical, but something about that upper case on the left aggravates the situation in my mind.

I hope you don't mind me expressing my thoughts about this.

so if i got this right tom your gonna have this running on the north wall of your living room or the east???

also,, i thought you were gonna remodel the basement shop area first!!!!

Yep shop first, thus the April start date:)

darren i dont think he has thought this out very well so far he is already assuming that some guy named larry is gonna part with more wood:)

Hey I DO have a gift certificate:D

First, I love the inspiration of your design and hope you follow that look. The concerns that I have with your initial design is the possibility of it looking out of balance (one side vs. the other) and maybe too top heavy. The top heavy concern may be for nothing if both the TV and the other structure (Shelves?) are set back or if you remove whatever it is sitting on the other case. I think if you remove whatever that is (what is it anyway?) it will also mitigate the balance concern. Things don't necessarily need to be symmetrical, but something about that upper case on the left aggravates the situation in my mind.

I hope you don't mind me expressing my thoughts about this.

PLEASE express any and all thoughts, that is exactly why i am starting this early so there is room for revisions:thumb: I understand the unbalance side to side but that part is not adjustable due to the doorway. they are shelves on the left side bill and things are a little beefy kind of replicating the fireplace. Also they will be stepped back from the front edge of the cabinets. i did do a drawing using thinner up rights and that version did not work either.
And Larry, this is on the north wall:)

Thanks for the comments and ideas all they are why I post here, for all your expertise and ideas:thumb:

After seeing Rennies and others builds as well as your design I'm really getting to like this style of furniture. I was never much of a fan of oak until I've seen what you guys can do with it. I'm going to have to leave new england and move to the midwest so I can put some in my house :D

Looking forward to seeing it progress into the build.:lurk:

Tom seems somebody is really attached to that qtr s oak you after.

As to your idea and design i agree with Allen, loose the 3D part of the wide screen.

I also agree with Bill, the left and right dont match in design sense. Looks like a hodge podge. Like you got two bottom bases of different sizes and stuck shelves on one side and a tv on the other. The picture you show has symetry which in my view with qtr sawn oak is something that shows the wood because of the grain lines. Aesthetically the shelves image over powers the tv side.
I think you should take the time to put the doorway or entryway into the image as it really is so it adds itself to breaking the optical look of the two cabinets as they are now in the jpeg. It may completely change how it all looks. Also if you divide the shelf space vertically with two more lines it may make it look a little smaller...dunno. The width of the rail and stiles you show looks like it either is multiple peaces or beaded. The mission effect needs to have flat wide rails and stiles to show the ray in the oak. Just my 5 cents. Its your room though and its what makes you happy.:)

tom this is a fine way to get to know sketchup, you can have the door way show as a door way and can get to see the real look pretty good.. you can add a scan of real wood tot he pieces to get a better feel for what will be.. ..talk with dan noren or and dave richards on this for a rough idea in a sketchup style.. the ability to rotate the image or the veiw of the image makes a big difference in the comprehension of it

That inspirational shot is truly inspirational. That's almost enough inspiration to get me to knock another window in the fireplace wall (why the heck do we have fireplaces in SoCal anyway?). I like your first draft Tom but, really enjoy the multiple elevations/depths of the inspirational pic. Like my favored G&G style, this stuff was not made with easy dusting and cleaning in mind. I used to try to minimize the effects a bit but now, I'm in for a penny, in for a pound. Lay on the character, glass and molding details :thumb:

P.s. That's easy for me to say, I'm just watching :D

I could change it to the south end of the room which I could replicate the inspirational version much easier but that would mess with the seating in the room greatly. Hmmm maybe I could get Larry to stop by some time after work and we could have a planing session? What ya think Larry, ya available some time in the nearish future? (read cold ones in this or maybe a supper with APT's AND cold ones:))