Tossing around ideas - when your given lemons make lemonaide

How long is this? The shelves 'look' too thin for the length.

+1 Don't forget that the sides need to also be thicker, because you have very little in your design to help counter the forces imposed on it by the shelves. Things like a back or face frame. Because of this, your components will be need to much thicker than a design with some of those elements.

43" shelves with no support?
Will that work? I'd be wanting to check some sag tables, or just slap a 1x2 on edge along the back.

I like the pegs also. One big peg or two small pegs? Hmmm.

100#'s for a few moments is a whole lot different than a 100#'s of books for years. Generally, shelves without ledgers are good for 36" and that is marginal. Don't mean to be picky, Don, but don't want your project to fail either. What does the LOYL plan to put on them?

well after Carols's question I asked LOML what she was going to put on the bookcase and when she started to tell me I said just how big do you want this thing, she said 6 feet :eek: :eek: soooo I I guess I need to rethink this design...:huh:

Communication is very timely, I still suspect she will want the cables hidden...after she sees the mess they make.

Good one, Larry.:rofl:

Don, if there is going to be significant weight load, I'd suggest dividing into thirds. You might get away without shelf ledgers and the 'hefty' look they present. Or cantilever shelf corbels mounted on a stiff (3/4")back, behind which the cables can hide. Or divide in half and use ledgers. Lots of design possibilities.

Knew a guy years back that was trying for the minimal look (think thin) for his shelves. So he had metal frames welded and clad them wood veneer. Looked great. Less than a year later, they were all curved from the book weight. It is what it is.

Id still increase the depth to at least 12-14 inches, and Id make the shelves 1 inch thick.
I always feel a bit beefier without messing up the looks of things is always safer especially if you plan on putting a 1000 dollar flat screen tv on it.

Last edited:
Id still increase the depth to at least 12-14 inches, and Id make the shelves 1 inch thick.
I always feel a bit beefier without messing up the looks of things is always safer especially if you plan on putting a 1000 dollar flat screen tv on it.

Allen the shelves are going to be 4/4 (1") and the sides (verticle pieces) will be 6/4 (1 1/2") as for the differance between 10 " deep and 12" deep when it is loaded with books and sitting on a hardwood floor it ain't going anywhere. Plus the Flat screen will be sitting on a piece of 1 1/2 x 10" board turned on edge. The center section.

Last edited: