SketchUp - Took the Plunge!

Bill Arnold

Staff member
After several false starts over the past couple of years, I finally found the determination to dive into SketchUp. And it's all YOUR fault!!! Seeing many of you doing your designs in SU while I was still in the 2D world made me jealous. Yep, that's what did it! :eek:

Whatever the motivation, I dove into SU a little over a week ago and truly made the effort. I know I have a long way to go, but I think I have a good start. Dave Richards has been great to answer several questions and review my drawing via email. I know I haven't finished my credenza project yet, but the next big project is a platform bed for our guest room. Here's a jpg of what I have so far along with a link to the SU file on my website. Your comments and criticism are very welcome!!!

SketchUp file

Bed_Platform_2.jpg

By the way, the primary material will be red oak to match an existing headboard. Internal panels will be 1/2" plywood; the top platform will be 3/4" plywood. There are some unnecessary lines in the drawing that I need to remove when I learn enough to do it! :rolleyes:

I've continued to work on my drawing of a platform bed, doing some cleanup, adding drawers, etc. What a learning experience! The panel at the head of the bed has no hardware and will be in a fixed position because a nightstand will be on one side and a chair on the other.

Bed_Platform_2b.jpg

SketchUp file

As before, comments and critique will be welcomed!

Last edited: