SketchUp problem executing a concept

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
I am admiring Glenn Bradley's designs with the curved drawer dividers. To draw something like it is my problem.

I understand the concept to draw the profile and push/pull it into a 3d. The question is how to draw the profile. To break down Glen's detail, there is an ogee like shape on either side separated by an arc. I can do the arc. How do you draw the ogee?

hi carol! what i like to do when i need to make an ogee, and using this example, is that i divide the length by 3, and then down the height by 2 of those units, as shown in the drawing. then i draw arcs at the beginning, then connecting them with a straight line, then pushing out the excess.

Attachments

• ogee 1.jpg
    ogee 1.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 12
  • ogee2.jpg
    ogee2.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 13
  • ogee3.jpg
    ogee3.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 13
Carol, Dan doesn't mention it specifically but he shows setting out guidelines help lay out the ogee curve. This is a very useful technique for a lot of things. You might also find it useful to start with a rectangle that is larger than what you need so you have additional surface to work on. You might find it easier to start with the ogee curve (a couple of arcs and perhaps a straight line segment between as Dan shows) and, after copying the first ogee curve to the opposite end, add the long arch between them. That can make it easier to get a nice transition from the ogee to the long curve. Illustration to come when I get a fe minutes to draw.

Illustrations as promised.

This shows how I laid out this specific curve. I left out Dan's straight line segment. The exact dimensions aren't important but you can see how I have set out guidelines. Notice that the upper arc rises above the top guideline. That occurred due to the radius required to make that arc tangent to the first arc. Don't use the end of the second arc as the starting point for the long curve to the other end or you won't have a nice, fair transition.

I copied the ogee to the opposite end and flipped it to mirror it. That's faster and easier than drawing the ogee on the opposite end. Then I used the Arc tool to connect the two ogee curves pulling the long arc up until it turned cyan indicating tangency to the arcs at the tops of the ogees.

Thanks, guys. Now I have some work to do. The first of which is to learn how to set out guide lines. :)

I am off for a few days of R&R before I implode. But I may fool with this while I am gone. Expect me to be back with questions. Thanks again.

Carol, guidelines are set out with the yellow Tape Measure tool. Click and drag on an edge, axis or other guideline and you'll get a guideline parallel to that line. You can type the distance and hit Enter to set it precisely.

Good luck with R&R. No imploding or exploding for that matter.

Last edited:
Dave, I've been using the Tape Measure to set guides in most cases. Is there a reason the protractor is better? I've used the protractor when working on a radius piece.

Sorry for the confusion Bill. I was distracted when I was typing. I fixed it now. It should be the yellow Tape Measure tool. Where's the forehead slap smilie? :D

:doh::doh:

Last edited:
I do as Dan and Dave show. It is kind of creepy how quickly I can do cloud-lifts now in SketchUp. I guess there's no escaping the old saying "practice, practice, practice".