Good Fein Multimaster clone?

Jeff Horton

Never had any interest in one of these till now. I have a boat project coming up where it appears one of these will be near indispensable. Even so it will likely be a one time project, put away in the tool cabinet and pulled out once ever year for some little something.

So if you have used one of the many clones tell me what you think of yours.

Oh, I will using it to cut caulking between two overlapping board on a lapstrake (think shiplap siding) boat. The caulking used is very tenacious stuff and has to be cut to remove the planking.

My BIL and sister have gotten TONS of use out of their Harbor Freight clone, and have been very happy with it. It's my understanding that you can't use Fein blades on it, but they've had no complaints using the HF blades.

I use the dremel multi max, and it can use alot of different brand blades.
Works great, no complaints, my kitchen guy used it since he ran out of sharp blades and said it worked as well as his fein.
I saw it on sale for 89 somewhere recently.

Well I've had two different kinds. First the harbor freight version and it worked pretty good I thought. Blades didn't last that long but it seemed to do the right thing. I decided I'd get a Fein one day when Amazon had em on a real good sale. There is little comparison between the two. Both do the same kind of work but the Fein is way ahead of the HF as it should be considering the price. Their blades last a lot longer too.

If I'm not mistaken Woodcraft now sells imperial blades that fit the harbor freight multi tool along with the fein and others.

I am hearing a lot of people that like their HF model. I am sure it is no Fein by any means. After I posted this I looked at the price and was surprised to see the Fein with minimal looking for $200. I have only heard two bad things about Fein, price and price of their blades.

Looks like they are down and there are cheaper blades. Still looking but I am probably going to use it a lot on the boat restore......

Another HF fan and I have used mine quite a bit. It is worth noting that at one time they had at three models they were selling at the same time. Two corded at a fairly large price difference and a cordless that I can't imagine being worth much other than specialty use for on site boat or RV jobs.

That said the Fein down to 200.00 would be tempting, when I was looking at them the model I was shown was around 400.00..

That said I just went and looked at Amazon and they have the corded Bosh for 129.99 40 reviews and 4 star the lowest. I know nothing of this tool but have never had a bad bosh tool. And 40 reviews with a 4 star being the lowest looks mighty good.

Went back and it looks as if it does have one 1 star rating but it seems to be more of a whine or a rant. I think if I was looking right now it's what I would try..

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-MX25EC-21-2-5-Amp-Multi-X-Oscillating/dp/B004HKCGQK/ref=pd_cp_hi_0

Garry

Last edited:
I bought a sears brand last year because someone gave me a gift card for Sears. I wanted to buy the Rockwell but they were sold out. I do not like the sears tool. The blades don't seem to cut that well and one of them broke right away. Haven't used it since.

I too have the HF version, it's worked great and I've used it quite a bit, but the blades don't last long if you ask me. I wait for sales on the blades and buy a couple of each. It does vibrate A BUNCH more than the fein, but even with tons of extra blades it's way cheaper.

I'm with Allen, +1 for the Dremel Multi-Max. It's been doing heavy duty all around the condo remodel, laminate flooring cuts, trimming door frames, cutting out ceramic tiles, plunge cuts and metal etc. and I haven't bought a replacement blade yet.

Garry Foster;321501.............. That said the Fein down to 200.00 would be tempting said:
That's pretty much been my thinking on both. Fien is a fine tool I am sure. While not a brand loyal type I do like everything Bosch I have bought so far. Didn't think to check the reviews on Amazon and price is easier to swallow too. I may go that with Bosch when the time comes. I have asked a couple of places and every says they have used their way more than expected so I will probably spring for a good one.

I had a HF but it was so dam loud I had to wear ear protection (nearly deaf now) Some of the studs broke off that hold the blades on. bit my lip and bought a Fiien (their supposed to be the inventers of the ocill tools) Home depot carries them for 200.00.

When I got it home it was like a vega and royal rorce. It's made in germany, has a soft start and variable speed (wide open speed is scary) Get the one that you don't need the wrench to change the blades, just flip a lever. I found a wed site that sells blades on the cheap and so far they have done pretty well. a 39.00 blade for 10.00 and other like 5 or 6 bucks! here is the site.

www.FitzallBlades.com

Last edited:
Fein
Bite the bullet, spend the money and get the best tool you can.

When a contractor buddy bought one I looked at him like like he was missing a chromosome, until i used it. It is handy for all sorts of things and I use mine all the time for doing strange cuts. The putty knife looking attachment is awesome for peeling adhesive.

What Karl said---I have had a Fein for many years---use it very often and each time I use it I have the pleasure of flawless performance. I consider it one of the very best tools in my shop

My Fein is about 20 years old - the original, with the "use an Allen wrench" blade change. It was expensive when my wife bought it for me, but after twenty years, and I-can't-count-how-many uses, it's as solid as it was when new.

Sometimes, you DO get what you paid for.

Don't mess with the clones, just suck it up and buy the Fein.