Howdy from the hills of Arkansas (yep, a hillbilly in the flesh)

Ben Johnson

Looks like a pretty good site with lots of information. Looking forward to being a contributing member. Consider myself a slightly above beginning woodworker, but I'm eager to learn more. I have a passion for turning but love creating things others can use. Native to the Ozarks of Arkansas with an old tin barn for a shop. I'm "FiatBen" on the Shopsmith forum for those of you who share that passion. I've got a barn full of cherry, walnut and oak and am looking to use it all up before I die.

Welcome to the clubhouse, Ben. We've got a few other Arkys here (as well as hillbillies from all around the world), so you should fit right in. :thumb:

Welcome from another Arkie, I read here a lot but don't post all that much. What part of the hills you in? I'm in the N.E. corner in Randolph county. Always like to get to know another woodworker. I've got a cabinet shop in Pocahontas actually. Welcome, hang out and let yourself be known once in a while.

Welcome Ben !!!!!

I had a shopsmith for many years and it worked well for me.:thumb:
Wish I had a barn full of cherry and walnut. I'd stand there all day just looking and smiling:D
Bob you do,, it over here come take a look:)
welcome ben and we got guy in mountian home arkasasas well so your not alone here

Hi Ben and Welcome Aboard.

I'm sure glad that I'm not going to conk off when my stock of cherry, walnut and oak are gone. I'd be dead in a month or two. Wish I had a big tin barn full of fancy wood and plenty of room to work in. Oh well.

You will enjoy Family Woodworking even though a few of us are pixilated. It is a great place to get good answers to questions.

Enjoy,

JimB

Welcome from another Arkie, I read here a lot but don't post all that much. What part of the hills you in? I'm in the N.E. corner in Randolph county. Always like to get to know another woodworker. I've got a cabinet shop in Pocahontas actually. Welcome, hang out and let yourself be known once in a while.

I'm probably one of the few people who don't live there who can say they've spent the night in Pocahontas. Biggest mosquitos I ever saw! Was scared to leave the motel after dark. And almost as thick as they was in the state park just outside El Paso TX!!

here's some of it

Welcome Ben. Sure would like to see a picture of a barn full of wood. Nobody here's got one :)

Well, maybe "full" is not quite accurate, but enough to get in the way. Enough that I can't ever get down to the one I really want in the stack (why is it always on the bottom?) I'll see if I can attach a pic of some of it. It's all rough sawn, and a lot has the natural edge. Not huge stuff but some of the walnut is over 15" at the widest point (bigger than my little 12" planer can handle).
DSC00002-2.jpg
DSC00010-1.jpg

Welcome Ben
I one of the guys from Mountain Home. We have another member who hasn't been able to participate lately.
We just need a few more Arkies then we will be able to take over the place. :rolleyes: