new mortising machine on the way from grizzly

Dan Noren

Staff member
when i saw the amount of holiday pay i got:D, i decided to finally replace my sturdy old jet mortising machine (broken casting tab in back). ordered it tonight, not sure when it will show up. its a g0645, all the same features as the jet, and around $100 cheaper.:thumb:

bob - yes it does come with a set of 4 chisels

not sure if the casting is iron or aluminum, iron can be welded, not so sure about aluminum. i'll try to get pics of the break tomorrow.

hey bart whats the differnce between the two??? and in the picture of yours the man picture,, isnt the top clamp on wrong side up??

Yes it looks like the clamp in up side down its working so I don't see a problem. Actually the rod it's clamped to probably isn't long enough so he inverted the (extraction bracket) my name for it. It really doesn't clamp anything it just assists with chisel extraction upon backing out of the initial start hole of a mortise. After that you should be half lapping each time you bore in line all the way to the other end of the mortise this way your chisel extraction should be easier.

As close as I can tell these are the differences.

Shop Fox Mortising Machine
$300.00
About 20# heavier
¾ HP
Speed 3450 RPM
swivel base
½ chuck
Mortise to the center of a 8" wide board
Maximum stock thickness 8-3/4"
Chisels 1/4-3/4
Wooden changeable table make it any size you want
5/8" and 3/4" chisel sleeves