Real Strength Training

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I always hear about strength training, PBX 90 and all the newest fad stuff. [rant on] Just try turning out 10mm bolts from a transmission pan when the bottom of the car is against your chest and your arms are about twice as long and big as they need to be for the job. I spent about 8 hours pulling the two pans and scraping gaskets from my wifes car's transmission this weekend. The front pan gasket was leaking as the last shop that changed the rear seal put too much fluid in the transmission (sealed transmission) which blew out the other seals. [rant off] Second pic is the view back from the transmission where the ATF Fluid covered the entire back half of the chassis and is dripping off on ever square inch under the vehicle (well mostly me, but trust me it got covered well).
IMAG0666.jpgIMAG0664.jpg
I have real admiration for the guys that do this every day. I can barely lift my arms to type this post tonight. :p

Also had to change out the front bearings. Needed a special tool for reinstalling the "axle nut" (threaded ring with two holes for special socket). I took two trips to the parts store for different sockets before welding this up, which only took 15 minutes.
IMAG0667.jpg

BTW, have ran the work clothes through the wash twice with lots of detergent and hot water, still have the stains and smell from the ATF Fluid. :dunno:

Last edited:
Lots of fun :D don't dry them clothes until the stains are out, or it's all over...I've had good luck{should say the 'little lady' has} using hand cleaner like GoJo or Fast Orange, slather some on, leave it sit for a while, then wash & repeat as/if needed...HIH's.....btw, how's the knuckles? :doh: :p

Edit: nice improvising :thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
Zoiks, that sounds like a ton of fun.

I bought a set of coveralls I'm supposed to use for that kind of thing, if only I could remember to use them....:doh:

Yeah Ken, got some nice scrapes on both sets. :D

Brent, I don't think they would have saved the clothes, got pretty soaked. Those pics were after my chest soaked up most of the drips of fluid hanging from them. :p

Stu, I can't imagine not having a welder now, and wish I had a tig most times. I've got some 1/4" plate and angle iron in the back for a nice little table for projects like that. Didn't have room in the old garage and never got it welded up, might start doing it this week. I've got a little metal lathe and mill on my wish list, then there won't be much I can't do.

I'd just like to get something a little 'bigger'. The welder I have is a little 110 job with about a 30% duty cycle.

My BIL gave it to me free and I've sure appreciated it the several times I've used it.

Thread Hijack..
Saw this welder/cutter jack of all trades demonstrated in person a couple weeks ago and must say I was impressed. No bottles to store is the nicest thing as far as I a, concerned.

Multiplaz

Sounds like hype and high priced but it did everything thy claim. Reading some are satisified and a lot of people just "know" it can't work. Lots of people think it's Browns gas which it isn't. If it would last it would be almost perfect for the small home shop..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9rEMjhNOhU

Garry

Last edited:
Thread Hijack..
Saw this welder/cutter jack of all trades demonstrated in person a couple weeks ago and must say I was impressed. No bottles to store is the nicest thing as far as I a, concerned.

Multiplaz

Sounds like hype and high priced but it did everything thy claim. Reading some are satisified and a lot of people just "know" it can't work. Lots of people think it's Browns gas which it isn't. If it would last it would be almost perfect for the small home shop..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9rEMjhNOhU

Garry

I want one

That's very interesting Garry. I don't know much about welding, but it looks pretty cool, being able to both cut and weld.

Darren you just reminded me of why i had a spell last year of working on our cars. This weekend i am going to chance it with a local shop and get a tie rod fixed on wifes vehicle. Condition i made is i get to watch the guy doing it so i can make sure all the parts go back properly. :D If they pass muster hey maybe my mechanic days are over i certainly hope so.

That fast Orange stuff is amazing but i particularly like that tool you made. Good ole Yankee ingenuity. :thumb: As to the arms being too long try doing it with a gut too large and with glasses on and they keep falling all over the show.

Dont have a picture but its the reason i made up a couple of large unbelievably solid wooden boxes out of 2x 10 pressure treated and used them as jack stands. Son never thought they would hold but i showed him. Got them higher and more sturdy than having jack stands gave me room to move under the vehicle.

Good thing is now at least you know the jobs done properly right.

Ahh Rob the machanics nightmare. Most of the time those that have to watch end up standing between the techs toolbox and what he is working on. Then the tech has to have the customer move to get to his toolbox. Maybe that is why the bill is higher. Time lost waiting for the customer to move out of the way.

Rob, I've seen a sign in a mechanic's shop that was something to this effect:

Shop Fees: $75 per hour
If you watch: $100 per hour
If you help: $150 per hour

:D

I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but for some reason, I never did get along well with working on cars. I can generally get the same results and save myself some time by simply skinning my knuckles on the sidewalk, then just taking the the car to a good mechanic. First time I my mom ever heard me curse was when I was working on a car. ;) She came out and asked "How's it going?". I had a screwdriver in my hand, and I flung it to the ground and stabbed it into the lawn as I answered back like a sailor would. She said "Oh.", and walked quietly back into the house. :D