Safety Reminder

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I was changing the fuel filter on the truck last night. I had relieved the pressure on the valve on the fuel rail and disconnected the battery before starting. Fords used a quick connection on the high pressure fuel line that snaps onto each end of the filter. I had removed the line going to the engine from the filter and only had a slight drip. As I removed the rear line, gas sprayed out at about 40 PSI all over my face and head (which was not directly below). I fortunately was wearing my safety glasses, so my eyes were ok; however, had turned my head and gas went directly into my ear canal. Talk about a burn. :eek:

I ran down to the house and did a rinse using the sprayer on the kitchen faucet for about 10 minutes. I then did a quick google and found I wasn't the first to do something this stupid. :doh: I saw several posts suggesting dripping olive oil in the ear canal, which my mom used to do for us when we had ear aches. It was suggested that the olive oil would be heavier than the gas and help draw it out and also sooth the burn. Still a little sore this morning, but hearing fine. :eek:

For those wondering, the filter did appear to be original, I got the truck with 150k miles on it, so yes...it was clogged and is running much better now. Oh and I finished up the job with ear plugs in just to be safe. ;)

why was there still pressure on it darren? because it plugged tight??

Yup. I had some draining when I took the first line loose but it was pretty slow, I took the second off pretty quickly after the first, probably should have waited. I'm surprised the truck was running at all as clogged as it was. Had the same issue on my chevy, running like the tranny was slipping, threw no codes just wouldn't get up to speed and shuttered a lot.