ARRRRRRRRG but it better now

Don Baer

Staff member
So I'm heading down the freeway on my way to the Woodworking show when the pickup start to loose speed and the engin is speeding up, I make my way over to the slow lane and the message board tells me that the transmission is overheating. The pickup is emplty and I.m not towing anything. I pulled off the freway and put the truck in park, pull out the owners manual and it say if that happens to the truck to pull over and put it in park, let the engine idle until the message goes away. while it was ideling I checked the transmission and it was 1 qt low on fluid. When the message went out I limped along on surface street until I found an auto parts store. I put the qt in and tried it out still no luck. I only have 1st and 2nd gear. I limped along and took it to the dealer. It's a 2005 Silverado with 49,500 miles. The book says to service the transmission at 50k miles. I had serviced at 25k. Fortunatly I have 100,000 mile warantee and the drive train so I am without a truck. The underwriter at the dealer offered me a ride home but I called LOML and she was at the mall right next to the dealer so I didn't need the ride home. So I guess I won't make it to the ww show this year..:(

Last edited:
AAahhh maaaann Don...that bites big green donkey cheese!

Well, if there's a bright side, maybe it's that you won't have to spend $6 for a WW show beer.:D

Were you going to look for anything special to buy? Maybe you and the wife can "share" the experience together and go in her car? ;) Maybe?

Hope your truck is fixed soon and your back up and runnin' quick.

Last edited:
First of all, I'm really sorry for your misfortune.

Secondly, I'm really glad I didn't go with you to the show!:D

It's a bad thing that you didn't get to go to the show, but it's a good thing that this happened at sort of a good place and momma was nearby to give you a lift. And it's a really, really, really good thing that you have the extended warranty. Could you imagine what the bill would be for tranny work without the warranty:eek: ? I don't think you'd be in the market for any woodworking tools for a while.

Sorry again, Don. Let me know if I can be of any help.

George

If this was an extended warranty, they should have covered a rental car for a few days as well as the repair. I'm a service advisor, and we do this all the time. Sometimes we get stiffed. One that left the shop today, came in last Tues. Looked at, Ext Warr company wanted it torn down to point of failure. It was a heater core, so the whole dash had to come out. Adjuster made it out Friday, approved the job, we finished it up this afternoon. Ext warranty paid for 2 days rental.:confused::confused::confused: Luckily we have some other means to help pay for most of the rental, but the extra comes out of the company profits. If they had approved the repair on the phone, the customer would have been out in 2 days easy.:bang: Oh well, that's life. Glad your's was a covered repair. Those trans repairs can get pretty pricy. Jim.

If this was an extended warranty, they should have covered a rental car for a few days as well as the repair. I'm a service advisor, and we do this all the time. Sometimes we get stiffed. One that left the shop today, came in last Tues. Looked at, Ext Warr company wanted it torn down to point of failure. It was a heater core, so the whole dash had to come out. Adjuster made it out Friday, approved the job, we finished it up this afternoon. Ext warranty paid for 2 days rental.:confused::confused::confused: Luckily we have some other means to help pay for most of the rental, but the extra comes out of the company profits. If they had approved the repair on the phone, the customer would have been out in 2 days easy.:bang: Oh well, that's life. Glad your's was a covered repair. Those trans repairs can get pretty pricy. Jim.
Jim,
If I'd have needed a car I certainly would have asked for one. Thanks for the info. The service Adviser mentioned that it's gonna cost GM over $1600.

Jim,
If I'd have needed a car I certainly would have asked for one. Thanks for the info. The service Adviser mentioned that it's gonna cost GM over $1600.

Sheesh. Guess I'm getting old.:eek:
I remember when a rebuilt, installed automatic only cost around 4-500.00

man last time i tore down the ol` saginaw new bearings-n-gaskets ran me less than 100$ a new clutch with ceramic pressure plate was another 200$ one saturday, 2 qts of 90wt and i`m still rollin`.........but it`s got squeeks-n-rattles, no airconditioning ect;) ....