well, today's the day....

well, it was the usual going over the preliminary paperwork. they think that the last day may fall some time around july - august. doesn't mean i won't be looking in the meantime... lol

Sorry to hear this bad news Dan. Severance and a few months to look are better than a lot of folks get. Tell us what the stock symbol is so I don't accidentally buy any. I hate dealing with offshore tech support.

i'll mention the company, but only if it does not violate the coc.

I don't think it'd be a violation of the ToC, but it'd probably be still prudent to be non-specific about an employment situation like this on a public forum. If the wrong people in HR saw it (via a Google search, for example), it could put you in a weaker position when severance package time rolls around. It's really your decision, but I'd suggest keeping the specifics in PMs instead.

Sorry to see the axe fell, and that it fell for the wrong reasons, but on the plus side, you do have a few months advance warning. When I got laid off, I was called into the HR office at about 5:20 PM and officially unemployed by 5:30.

Boat inspector sound like a fun gig. :)

I didn't have a clue about which company was involved so I just did a Google search using the phrase "grocery lays off 800". I think I know which company we are talking about.

Dan,

In my 34 year career after 8 years in the US Navy, I managed to survive two sales and numerous RIFs.

The sales were an interesting event.

I initially went to work for a small privately owned corporation that due to bad business practices was bought by Johnson and Johnson.

8 years later J&J sold us to GE.

One of the "nets" J&J provided for the employees was 1 month's salary for each year you had worked of the original company IF GE didn't offer you a position. It took 3 months for the FTC to approve the sale. I know a couple managers that purposely angered their new GE managers so they wouldn't be offered a position. These managers had already found new jobs and had 10 years with the company. Yup, they collected almost a years salary and had the other job waiting for them.

I had been with the company for 10 years, figured out the same scenario but I had been living in Idaho for 4 years and after 4 previous years living in Chicago, didn't want to move back to a large city to continue my profession. GE offered me a position and in the next 24 years I managed to make myself valuable enough to escape being RIFed 6 different times.

Good things happen to good people. I'd continue to work and play out the severance thing, get everything in order, watch for openings locally, research the job market and apply. Use vacation if you have any to interview. Good things happen to good people. Something better will come around.

Last edited:
Dan

Rifs and Vrifs are no fun. I survived many of them only to still be had by company changing the rules on benefits.

So I agree that it bites.... I have to deal with reps in India for my retirement benefits.. My internet problems, my credit card services. ANd though I understand all they are trying to do is make a living its very rare that they manage to solve a problem with out transferring the call back to the states. And they usually fight that.....

Best of luck with the future...

Garry

well, since it's in the public domain, on the financial news services, and local news, there can't be too much they can do if i mention the name here. the company is supervalu.