Roll top computer desk W.I.P.

spent all day making designer firewood. I had to 1st make a template / holder for the curved stile to run on the shaper bearing. 1st one got a catch on exiting grain at full cut. Scarred the crap out of me. Cut a replacement, moved the scrap oak backer back a 1/8 or so, so the cutting operation is done in two passes. Then found out cutter needed to be raised 1/8th as I did a design change to use 7/8" thick rails and stile. Had to start over, but finished up with the left and a right. Jig has to be 2 sided for a left and right :thumb:
Some pics IMG_5472.jpgIMG_5473.jpgIMG_5474.jpgIMG_5475.jpgIMG_5476.jpg

Got the raised panel blanks glued up for the roll top and the knee hole today. Also had to fine tune the curved L & R stiles so they matched :huh: Chisel & hand plane was required to alter the joint a 1/16 on one. I got some glue on it quick before they moved. :) Roll top is a lot of work, especial flying by the seat of my pants on this project, without any instructions to go by. I was too cheap to pay $30 +or - for a plan :doh:.

IMG_5482.jpg

bryan the way your doing your sides of the tambour is the way mine downstairs was done,, i got it from the daughter didnt make it. and the idea of a template guide will work for the grove, that i have done. also on mine they had a back piece that came off so if the tambour messed up you could repair or clean it.. grand kids have a tendency to do strange things sometimes:)

I hate edge routing! :( I get covered in shavings , and the shop is a mess. :( Made a new base, tried a couple of floor sweeps screwed on, but still didn't capture much. Next I cut away part of a 4" DC hose joiner and fastened it on . Worked great :thumb: and with the cut off plastic duct taped it on to make the opening 1 &1/4" under the base to increase suction.
:photographer:
IMG_5498.JPGIMG_5496.JPG

the festool router I purchased recently, has a piece like that and when its hooked up to the vacuum, the dust hitting the floor is almost not noticed.
I purchased it after watching the guy at woodcraft rout an edge on a step stool.
Ofcourse, I havent purchased the vacuum yet, still trying to hook up a vac to my mitre.

what I like best about the festool, is that everything attaches easily, no wrenchs, just snap and lock or snap and twist the locker into place. Very easy, very quick operation. The dust chute just snaps in and you lock the lever. I used it when I routed out dados in plywood, I taped my shop vac hose to it. worked fine, but I will eventually get my hands on another vac.

Attachments

• cabinet 230 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 230 (Medium).jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 23
  • cabinet 231 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 231 (Medium).jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
"I haven't purchased the vacuum yet, still trying to hook up a vac to my miter."

As to miter saw DC I've always pictured in my mind a funnel shape centered underneath the saw with a high side for approximately the back half of the funnel so that all the dust dropping or ejected out the back side would hit & slide down to the bottom of the funnel & be sucked in by the DC.

the festool router I purchased recently, has a piece like that and when its hooked up to the vacuum, the dust hitting the floor is almost not noticed.

I have the Festool as well, and it does work pretty well.. But I gotta say that Bryans solution looks like it would move a whole lot more air and is more "open", I have sometimes had to squint a little to see around the dc assembly on the festool.

This deserves at least 20 points for ingenuity and immediate functionality... The only real advantage the festool has is that you can also use the DC hookup for non-edge routing as well.

Not to hijack the thread, the desk is looking awesome as well!! Will continue watching the build with interest :lurk:

Sanded the 36 x 62 desk top on the stroke & took less than 10 minutes to sand it. :) Fastened desk top to raised panel section. :)Trimmed tambour pieces & cut a tenon on the ends to fit the 1/2" groove.:doh:Trimming and fitting of the tambour, finally got it working.:doh::doh: Sat top lid on for pics.:thumb:
IMG_5509.JPGIMG_5515-1.JPGIMG_5516-1.JPG