Techies and Sound Experts help needed

Rob Keeble

I am looking to record sound outside as part of capturing video on my property. I have 4 security cameras that have audio capability and but know full well the quality of such embedded microphones.

Been looking at external microphones for this kind of purpose and have not been able to come up with anything quiet suitable. Can anyone that has the slightest experience in this regard offer some direction. I dont want to be doing the CIA stunt with directional parabolic audio eavesdropping devices. :rofl: I will mount such a device under the eve so as to give it protection from some of the elements. Cant seem to find some thing to do the job that is reasonable without taking a hit and miss aproach and just going for it with any old mic.

Now realistically i am not looking to capture the sound of a hummingbirds wings flapping:rofl: this is to record audio eminating from NN onto my property over to the good side N's property and to use to demonstrate the perpetual harrasment i go through each time i even pop in and out of my shop for a screwdriver or whatever.

I have discussed with the town the issue of capturing video and so long as i meet the privacy laws its common practice in our town and no specific by law.

I think 5 years of harrasment is quiet sufficient to put up with especially given the amount of time i actualy do get to spend in my shop. While i could turn the other cheek and move on, i decided given the western breeding in me I aint gonna do so until the battle is over.

This all came to light since a heads up from a good neighbor telling me the town was snooping around checking on a noise complaint about my property.Turns out there was a newbie in the position but the file has since been closed and my contact at the town assures me not to be concerned.

What i did find out was that the issue of neighbor conflict over all sorts of nothings is huge in our town. Somehow our living on top of each other and multiculturalism is not quiet as rosy as we project as a nation.

No matter how much i digest on this subject, i find it difficult to understand why immigrants who leave the place they were born supposedly for a better life elsewhere, then proceed to seek to recreate the environment they had where they left. From litter to racial conflict to honor killings to organized crime and extortion, i dont quiet get it no matter how much i try to see the other side of the coin.

Thanks to Allens kindness i will have some relative measurements as to ambient noise in the area from genuine home garage based open door cottage industry shops as soon as weather warms up a bit. Wish i had put this on the priority list in fall and got er done but too late to cry over spilt milk.

So i am gonna have an Alamo party here before i sound the tactical retreat. Did not move thousands of miles to live in freedom with a law protecting me from harrassment to have to tolerate this or have to lower my flag and move again when its not to my liking.

Sorry no rant intended, too disappointed with humanity right now. But enough is enough its time for serious action.

Life is too short for this, Rob. You cannot change behavior in another person. Please do not waste your energy or time [or for that matter, money] in this pursuit. You deserve to live your life in more happiness. You deserve to spend your resources on things that give you happiness. You deserve to wake up each day with a positive outlook and cheerfulness. It is a gift to give yourself and your family. Direct your energy in that direction instead. I know you said you did not want to turn the other cheek and move on, which suggests that you continue to put up with unwelcome behavior. Consider 'moving on' literally. The housing market is full of good deals. Don't think about what you might lose but about what you will gain. Life is really too short for bad neighbors.

I have several friends in the law enforcement community. It's a well known fact that they spend 90% of their time dealing with 10% of the public, which is usually always the same public/areas. I'm sure it's the same with the code enforcement folks.

I don't have any recommendations for the mics (was going to suggest parabolic dishes though :) ). Life is too short to deal with someone like a NN, hope they give up or trip up soon.

Have you actually tried the mics on the cameras? You might be surprised. ;)

And I'll second Carol's advice for the long-term solution.

Rob, you might check into this before recording sound, here in Oregon it is legal to video tape anyone that is outdoors, but it is illegal to record the sound with out permission. I think this is kind of stupid, but it's the law. :huh:

Carol I tend to agree with your view, however, if that view had been adopted by your countries forefathers then you would all be serving the Queen. :) I will pack my wagon and move on but not until the battle is won and over. People like this that think they can abuse their freedoms need to be taught a lesson and i now live in a country that has a bill of rights. One of which is the right to enjoy ones property. I gave this a lot of thought and come to the conclusion that if i simply move on i will have failed the very people who went before and created these rights to ensure people like me do not have to endure people like my NN.
As to recording the audio i dont particularly need it to be a legally perfect situation. My first tack is simply ensuring i have evidence of both NN abuse, general ambient noise, ambient noise when i am in my shop along with a time stamp of when i actually enter my shop and leave my shop.
The key aspect i want is the police to enforce the law. The law here clearly makes harrasment and mischief a criminal matter. I have opened a docket however understandably this is not and i would not expect it to be a high priority crime. However I will gather evidence sufficient to demonstrate my case and ensure police take action.
This is basically bullying in my view. Since we no longer live in the days where i can call the guy out into the street and pull a gun on him:) i have to rely on due process of the law for recourse.

I suspect that the emergence of security video cameras mounted on my with a suitable sign forewarning of the presence of such devices and their activation will add fuel to the fire however the flames have been burning for 5 years now and if they aint died down in that time they aint never going to unless these people get a good dose of cold water poured over them. Since money is all they understand they will have to feel the pain in their pocket.

There may be a slim chance that the cameras will settle the harrasment but i very much doubt it so time will tell. For me its time to take a stand on behalf of the people that remain on this planet that have some common sense and civility enough is enough.

I had an issue with a new neighbor that didn't like my Rotwiellers, I had two, calling an complaining about their barking. They seldom barked, but she would complain to the authorities anyway. the topper was when she turned in a complaint when I was camping about 100 miles from home, my dogs were with me, she said they where barking all night. I got letters from all my other neighbors stating that my dog where not a problem and a copy of my receipt from the camp ground and turn them it to the authorities, I believe that she received a fine for a false report, I never heard for her again.