Router table bites the dust.

Tom Baugues

I just cant win. I have this nice new shop that has taken me forever (it seems) to get completed and now I'm in the mood to make something. About two weeks ago the on-off switch went bad on my shop heater so I had to order a new one that took about 10 days to get here. Got that fixed now so I found a couple nice small projects in "Wood" magazine so I thought I would start one of them tonight. I set up my old metal Craftsman router table to use it and discovered that one of the legs has rusted away to the point that it is no longer safe to use as it is. I think I paid a whole $5.00 for this table abut 20 years ago.....it's time for something better. I shut out the lights and came back inside to shop around. Wow, I had no idea good router tables were this expensive :eek:. I have become a believer in buying good quality tools though so I do want something of quality.
My question is.......are the newer craftsman tables any good? I looked at Harbor Freight but the only table I see from them comes with a router and I do not need another router......at least I hope not. Craigslist is not much help with this in my area right now either.
It's always something.

...I think I paid a whole $5.00 for this table abut 20 years ago...

Man, it's a shame you didn't get your money's worth out of it. :rofl:

...are the newer craftsman tables any good?...

Twenty years ago Craftsman tools were pretty good. These days, with so much work going to the lowest bidder, their quality has really dropped, in my opinion. (There are some exceptions, but still...) I bought one of their aluminum benchtop router tables a few years ago, and ended up giving it away as soon as I built something better. I'd think you could make your own for less money and end up with something better. Several years ago I made a pretty serviceable router table insert for my tablesaw out of two layers of melamine-covered particle board with an aluminum router plate from Rockler.

Well space is a big factor. I have very little of it. So I need to be able to set it up on a bench, use it, then tuck it away under a bench. So I need a simple bench top model.

tom use the old one as a pattern, make a new one the same size or a touch bigger.. use a rockler insert and your old router and your ready to rock and roll..yu dont need to make ahug one of the little one worked for you before..

Well space is a big factor. I have very little of it. So I need to be able to set it up on a bench, use it, then tuck it away under a bench. So I need a simple bench top model.

Here's mine, Tom. Cost maybe $20 in bits and pieces to build. Works fine. Pick it up and put it away when I'm done. Light and portable.

But if you want to buy there are umpteen choices. My brother bought one of the Jessem tables and he was very pleased with it. I've also heard good things about the Kreg tables, as well as the Lee Valley top+kit. (and so on...)

Well, since the Router Lady got invoked...

Here are the principles involved. The top must be and must remain dead flat. It can be any size you like as long as it meets that one parameter. Regarding inserts, either a top inserted into a table or an insert to accommodate different diameter router bits, see above about table flatness. That rule never changes.

Second, to help the above, provide support for the router as close to the router as is practical. Make the sides and back of your table in as close to the router as you can and still be able to adjust the router.

That's it. Everything else associated with a router table are just additional features. As long as the table stays flat, you are golden.

Yes, my table still is portable, though I am currently putting my big PC7518 in a Woodpecker lift in the TS outfeed. It doesn't fit in the portable table and it is too heavy for me to use handheld. In the lift, I can use big bits with work pieces fed by my baby power feeder. Works for moldings really well.

Thank you all for the great ideas. Never really gave any thought to building my own. I just bought some T-track from Rockler to build a drill press table. Maybe I could use it for this instead. If I build my own should I use store bought plastic inserts then drill the top to fit them?
I did come across the router forum last night but didnt look very long. I will have to look again tonight and try to get some more ideas.

Well, I'm feeling pretty left out then. I have a pretty fast computer too. I'm using Internet explorer.
It just brings up a page with a small logo for New Yankee workshop and a header. The rest of the page is dark gray.

I'll keep trying it.

Larry....your link does the same.