Hello From Kentucky

Greg Brimer

Hi everyone,

My name is Greg Brimer and I live in Mayfield, Kentucky. I am new to woodworking but have been a machinist for 23 years. I am a little tired of working with metal so I'm going to give it a try with wood in my spare time. This site is amazing. Just so much info to take in. Thanks to everyone who shares their knowledge and love for woodworking.

Greg

I will add another, "Welcome Greg."

However, I will add that my oldest son is also Greg.

I don't know you and I don't know what you know about woodworking, however I will pass on one piece of advice (that you probably know anyway). My dad was a white collar person. One of his hobbies was working with metal. We were pretty good buddies so I was around him in the shop a lot. I never got into metal working, however a lot of it rubbed off on to me.

One of the hardest things for me to learn (I hear it, I know it, I understand it. But it never became part of my persona.). Wood is not like metal. The tolerances are very different. Wood is organic and it has a mind of its own; it shrinks, expands, twists and has all kinds of fun that metal misses out on. A hundredth of an inch in woodworking is nothing---It might as well be all of the way to the moon in some metal working.

End of sermon. Be as precision as you can and don't get ulcers when you cannot.

Enjoy and welcome to the FWW again.

JimB

I will add another, "Welcome Greg."

However, I will add that my oldest son is also Greg.

I don't know you and I don't know what you know about woodworking, however I will pass on one piece of advice (that you probably know anyway). My dad was a white collar person. One of his hobbies was working with metal. We were pretty good buddies so I was around him in the shop a lot. I never got into metal working, however a lot of it rubbed off on to me.

One of the hardest things for me to learn (I hear it, I know it, I understand it. But it never became part of my persona.). Wood is not like metal. The tolerances are very different. Wood is organic and it has a mind of its own; it shrinks, expands, twists and has all kinds of fun that metal misses out on. A hundredth of an inch in woodworking is nothing---It might as well be all of the way to the moon in some metal working.

End of sermon. Be as precision as you can and don't get ulcers when you cannot.

Enjoy and welcome to the FWW again.

JimB

Jim thanks for the welcome. It will be hard not to try and get everything to thousands of a inch LOL. I am used to holding .0003 on a Brown and Sharp O.D grinder.

Thanks everyone. I bought 4 Bessey 50 inch clamps today on clearance. I paid 19.00 a piece for them. Couldn't believe it. They also had the stands that you can sit them in for 4.00 a pack. I'm thinking of going back and buying a Bessey strap clamp they have for 14.99.

Thanks everyone. I bought 4 Bessey 50 inch clamps today on clearance. I paid 19.00 a piece for them. Couldn't believe it. They also had the stands that you can sit them in for 4.00 a pack. I'm thinking of going back and buying a Bessey strap clamp they have for 14.99.

That's an incredible deal. I think they cost me around $60 each for the 50" ones.

Welcome Greg. We other machinists here (not me) who have adapted very well to the relatively loosey-goosey world of woodworking. Have fun and enjoy.

Since I haven't been able to set up shop at home I bit the bullet and have started making me a turkey call at work. I glued up the wood and turned it today ( I know I said I didn't want to turn wood LOL ). I am making it out of Mahogany. I will try and take some pics while I am making it. I got the slate and glass ordered for it already. I am going to make the striker out of hickory.