Push and Pull

Bill Satko

One of the woodworking blogs I follow is Rob Porcaro's Heartwood. His latest post expressed a thought that made me stop and think. I wanted to share it with all of you here. I suggest you go to his post and read it and how it relates to his woodworking. I hope you find it as interesting as I did.

"It must be about push and pull. The way life is, we spend so much of our time and energy pushing ourselves to do the things that must be done. No complaints, and all that. There are, though, a few special things that call to us. These pull us and don’t let go, not for a long time, maybe never.

Heed that pull. Follow, if you can. It’s your soul calling and it’s important."

Thanks for the heads up Bill i read it and even looked at the catalog pg 26. This is sureal that we get this post. Why just this morning i was thinking of the words pull in similar regard. But it was Lindas bday so had to get my priorities right and execute on a plan for her small get together.
I feel this way about metal working outside of woodworking. I have had such an itch to weld and mill metal that one of these days i am just simply gonna go out and buy a welder and milling machine. :)
But i would also like to follow your path and toss out all the machines and go hand only. As Larry said i think he hit he nail on the head, post applies to so many things. Who does not want to try veneering or do some carving or master cutting a hand cut dovetail even if you go back to a machine cut one for production.

BUt then i just saw the tail end of the movie 50 dates and boy would i love to sail away on a boat like Adam Sandler is on near the end of the movie. :) Call of the wild.