Quick and simple

Ok now i gotta say this in my best grade 2 language (lol) "Its not fair" how do you manage to get those finials. Fess up and let me know what tools you use. I aint managed any spiny stuff that gets that thing without boom snap and all the bad words one can think of.

I really like your bowl and your finial. However, Maple is giving me some trouble right now. I just made a turning tool out of, what I thought was, Maple. It just seems too soft for a lathe tool handle. I think I will send it up to you and let you make a king sized finial out of it. Knowing you, you would probably find a way to make a beautiful fat bowl out of it.

Enjoy,

JimB

First off thanks all. Rob i use mostly a 3/8 bowl gouge and a mini skew. just take it from the small point down to the base where it sits in the HF. Also i try to make the smallest point about 1/16 th, and the bulb about 3/8. Height depends on the size of the HF, but some where about 3 to 4 inches high.
Jim are you sure it's rock maple? Or is it soft maple, Does make a difference when it comes to something like a handle.

If it is Maple, it is SOFT. So I actually intended for this to be a test piece (cough, cough). It will allow me to try a method of mounting a 1 1/8 inch wide Doug Thompson scraper with a rectangular (3/8 in thick x 1/2 in wide) tang.

Anyway it is a beautiful new tool who needs a handle and I needed the practice. The only non-round tangs I have mounted have been on small things like files. I will mount it, find out (like Glenn does) where the problem spots might be and then turn it into fire wood. I want the real one to he hale, hearty and healthy.

Enjoy,

JimB