Urn

Well we have gotten back from my wife's brothers services. I was called at the last minute because the family decided to have me turn a burial urn. There was no way to do it with green wood so decided to make a staved piece out of kiln dried 1 X walnut. They called me to ask on Sunday the 5th and the service was Saturday the 11th. So this one was quick but made with a lot of thought and love. It is walnut. The inside diameter is 7 1/4" and it is 8" tall. Probably could have went slightly smaller but didn't want to take a chance since we were driving 200 miles. Anyway it has a lacquer finish after being sanded to 600 grit and I burned a band on the top and bottom. The other problem I had is I had no wood that would take threads well. So improvised and use pvc threads. Wish I had went with black abs now. I wish I would have had more time but they thought it was brilliant and loved the piece.

Attachments

• David Masons Urn 1.jpg
    David Masons Urn 1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 54
  • David Masons Urn 2.jpg
    David Masons Urn 2.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 56
Nicely done, Bernie. I've also used PVC for a threaded lid, and I'd use it again over wood threads.

And condolences to your wife on the loss of her brother.

Bernie, My condolences to your wife on the loss of her brother. You did a great job and the PVC doesn't look bad either. The black ABS would have blended better, but the threads are a hidden part of the design, so you can stockpile some for the next time. On that note, and I hope you don't think this insensitive, but have you considered making some urns to have on hand? Last month we lost a close friend and I felt even worse at the loss because I had nothing to offer and no time to make one. Preparing a couple of nice urns is at the top of my list now. If nothing else, it will save my family the expense :)

Thanks again. Ted I have thought about it. I am thinking maybe 3 or 4 just to have on hand like a cherry, maple, walnut and maybe some other type of wood. It definitely saved them some expense for sure as he didn't have much money at all. The cheapest Urn the funeral home had was $1200 which he didn't have. That would have left the expense to the 2 brothers and 2 sisters. We/they did lay out money for the funeral and burial.

Very nice work Bernie sorry for the loss in the family. Seems to be we all in that phase of life when this seems to be happening all the time.

As to Urns i have long believed this is a good line given the high cost of funerals today and from the parlors point of view each time then end up swapping a burial for cremation the loose out on a coffin sale so urn has to make up the cost. I think you spinny guys could get a good thing going if you can tap into the market with the privately owned funeral homes or direct sale.

...I think you spinny guys could get a good thing going if you can tap into the market with the privately owned funeral homes or direct sale.

One key thing with making urns commercially is repeatability. Funeral homes want to show clients specific models for sale, and when the client receives it, they want it to match the sample they saw when they placed the order. Personally, turning the same thing over and over is not my cup o' darjeeling, but for someone who likes doing it, it could be a moneymaker.

I have to agree Vaughn. I am going to make a few just for friends if asked. I have a hard enough time doing bunches birdhouses and ornaments after a while. Besides I really don't want turning to become a job.

Bernie,
Sorry for your loss and offer my condolences... but I do have to compliment you on the great job you did on the urn. It's a fine job.

On the subject of doing more... I've thought a couple of times about getting into the business of making urns and probably still will try it, but like was said, I don't want to turn them as repeat turnings... I want to do each as an individual... you can't really do repeat if you use woods that have variables in their grain patterns etc... there's a old fellow (he's about 90) down in GA that does urns and markets them through a number of funeral homes... if I do get into the urns, I'll try to market them to the FH's that they can keep in stock and sell as the need arises.... he uses a wood thread, but I liked the PVC threads you used... I don't have the wherewithall to pick up the thread machine the fellow in GA uses... another urn turner in AZ uses the PVC threads and it didn't seem to affect the prices he got for his urns.

Thanks Dennis and Chuck. Chuck I agree that if I would or do get into this it would have to be that the FH will stock what I give them. I know it can be done but don't want to put a piece in their gallery and then have to duplicate it. I would turn several and take them down. I have a friend that turns Urn's. He sells them for around $300 or more depending on the wood he uses. He said he tells them that he will not try to exactly match any of them. He has done fairly well with his.

Fine work Bernie, and sorry for your family's loss. It is very meaningful that you could supply the urn. I like the PVC threads, it looks fine to me, and I bet it has a better feel than threads cut in the wood - they will move, and may get loose or tight. In any case, kudos to you, and best wishes to your family.