Router Books

Greg Brimer

I got my Router Joinery Workshop by Carol Reed today. I can't to start reading it. I also got Woodworker's Essential Shop Aids and Jigs by Robert Wearing. Don't have a clue how when or where I ordered it from.

Hi I normaly lurk in the woodturning area but since the router subject is here.

I also enjoy making wood padlocks. Any suggestions for routing or making a U shaped round shackle for a padlock simular to a master lock?

I've done two and luckily finished table routing both shackles and keeping my finger tips.

Interesting question. It made me focus first on wood grain and its orientation for the shackle. Enlighten me as to your stock prep of the shackle. I can then give a procedure to round over the shackle.

The router table is the right tool. The hole around the bit needs to be nearly zero clearance. This is why I like DIY router table tops as I outlined in the book.

To save the fingers, hot glue a piece of flat stock to one side of the shackle material. Put a nice fat knob type handle or two smaller knobs on the flat stock. Call this your shackle routing paddle. No, you can't see the cutter remove the material but you don't need to. You can hear and feel it - safely. After one side is done, pop it loose, reverse and hot glue the routed side on the routing paddle.

Don't go overboard on the hot glue. Three 1/4" dabs will do just fine, one near the ends and one in the middle of the shackle material. I keep an old kitchen butcher knife with my hot glue gun and sticks. The wide blade ones work the best. You can get some leverage with them.

Thanks for the response Carol. The original design I aquired was a 3/4" dia shackle that had an inside radius of 1 ". the grain is long ways with the length. After I wrote the first thread I got to thinking I need to make the legs of the shackle longer in order to get further away from the bit. Now I can see doing that and hot glueing a handle at the long end.

I appologise Greg for jumping on your thread. I got excited seeing someone in the know was reading it.

Hot glue the paddle right on top of the whole shackle, not just on the long end. The "u' of the shackle is short grain. The more support over it while you route, the better. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the response Carol. The original design I aquired was a 3/4" dia shackle that had an inside radius of 1 ". the grain is long ways with the length. After I wrote the first thread I got to thinking I need to make the legs of the shackle longer in order to get further away from the bit. Now I can see doing that and hot glueing a handle at the long end.

I appologise Greg for jumping on your thread. I got excited seeing someone in the know was reading it.

No problem Guy. Carol knows what she is talking about.