A Tori and a new gates

Jeff Horton

Worked on this a while back and was letting the posts dry in the shop. Using pressure treated posts and these things come dripping wet! Didn't want them to dry and twist and ruin this once I got it up. So I put it hold.

Here is what I am building.

arbor.jpg

I finished up the side panels?? I guess that is what you call them. I had just a tad of work to do on them. The gates are done and have been for a couple of months. I am ready to get them out of the shop! They are taking up a lot of space.

gates.jpg

I have all the parts cut out except the piece that goes over the top. Going to start putting it all together tomorrow I think. My probles is how I am going to install this! Spacing is important because of the gates. I have been thinking about putting it together on the ground. Bracing it temporary and then using a bucket truck to lift it up in place and setting in the holes.

Other option is set the two end pieces and then install the top bar. Either way I don't think this is going to be easy. I will hang the gates after it's up in place.

Jeff, I know what you mean about exact spacing being critical and hard to achieve.
Perhaps you can make spacers that are exactly the right length that will let you get the framework in place and plumb, and then come back and install the panels and gates within those openings. I did a few fences this way that required exact and unique post spacing to fit pre-constructed pannels.

Gotta love that A&C stuff...BTW, if you hadn't seen, Robert Lang came out with a new A&C book on Greene & Greene style recentely (like the past week). I haven't ordered it yet, but saw there was a link on Chris Schwarz's blog.

I knew you would chime in Alan. I think you like this stuff all most as much as I do. :thumb:

It's finished now. Just got to figure out how to install it. I have a bucket truck on site and I am think that I need to assemble on the ground. Cross brace and then lift it up and into place. Even that is not going to be simple as it sounds!

Jeff,

A&C is the cat's meow, isn't it? It just so tasty...really classy stuff, IMO.

Mike,

Please do let us know about the book, I will order it either way! ;)

EDIT: already ordered it, couldn't wait...was surprised it was on sale, for $18.xx, $23 with priority shipping.

I don't have any of Lang's books, but he's a top notch guy, and I've exchanged some email with him, especially after I visited the Gamble house last year.

Chris Schwarz seemed impressed with the kitchen of the Gamble house, and I would be interested in hear what aspect of it he really liked. It was originally built before modern applicances, so wasn't setup for all, but at some point the stove was replaced with a gas stove. The counters in the kitchen are wood, so there's a very soft/warm feel to it, and it is done in pine, if I recall correctly. I was more impressed with some of the other work in the home, the living room, entry, master bedroom, and their son's bedroom (which had a great fireplace with some great stone work). The kitchen was still nice, but there was a much more impressive china cabinet in a small room between the livingroom and kitchen that was pretty interesting, more so than the kitchen as well.

Last edited: