Back in the saddle again.......

I had another of my famous "retirement" projects on my assembly bench without any progress since last October. I was racing the winter weather and an October 13th surgery date. I did manage to remove the patio metal roof, replace the damaged soffit and paint the new soffit and facia and get the patio metal roof reinstalled 2 days before the first winter storms.

Then I had my cochlear implant surgery and it effected my equilibrium. It's only in the last couple weeks I felt confident enough to start walking on a treadmill again.

I bought and assembled a new scroll saw for the wife last week.

Today I went back into the shop to work on the oak entertainment center for the first time since last September. It took a couple hours to figure out where I had stopped, what to do next and get started. I began dryfitting the full extension drawer slides and the 6 drawers and the 4 sliding shelves. This will allow me to calculate, measure and mark where the European hidden hinges should go on the doors and drill the doors. Then I will dry fit the hinges and doors. I have 2 pieces of molding to make and install before some final sanding and start finishing.

It felt good to be back in the shop woodworking for the first time in 4 months!

Last edited:
Jonathan, I ended up buying my wife an Excalibur EX-21. My wife will be the primary user, has no experience using power tools and I was concerned about safety. The tilting head of the Excalibur brand leaves the table top flat and for me that was an increased safety factor. That coupled with a deal we couldn't refuse at the Spokane WoodCraft caused me to buy it then even though I wasn't ready to buy it at the time.

Last edited:
Excellent news Ken. Take it as it comes and enjoy your time in the shop. It is one of the great rewards of my life and I know others feel the same. Your current project has had a nice nap while you did the right thing in letting your body adjust. Glad to see you waking it up and letting it join in the fun.

Good for you Ken glad to hear you back at it. Just looked up that scroll saw you got for your wife. Well i can see the merits of it right at the start after my battle with an old world monster. Looks like a nice saw it deals with the issues i encountered nice table and easy blade change. :thumb: Wont you give us a review when you have had your hands on it.

Happy for you, Ken..I know how it feels... Between health issues, work, and tools gone into storage to prevent rust, I have been shopless for 2 years now...looking to the day I build my little piece of heaven. Enjoy your time .