More SU Practice - FollowMe

Bill Arnold

Staff member
Among other things I've seen using to give me more practice with SketchUp is a remodel of our master bathroom. Most of the drawing has been straight-forward and I've included some elements from the 3D warehouse when possible. I couldn't find anything close to the light fixture we currently have, so I used it as an excuse to do some practice with the FollowMe tool. Nearly all components of this drawing were done with FollowMe.

VanityLamp.jpg

Many thanks to Dave Richards for his encouragement and instruction.

Very good work, Bill. You've learned fast.

It's a great idea to practice by modeling things around you. You can take measurements and figure out how to create the parts as you draw them.

Bill, Larry does have a point. But when he wears a hat you can't tell. :rofl: Actually, for something like that back plate, you might find it worthwhile to increate the number segments in the circular Follow Me path so it is smoother. the caution is that you'll be creating smaller faces when you run Follow Me and if the faces at the center are too small, they won't be filled in. To remedy, or rather prevent that from happening, you can scale up before running Follow Me. We probably talked about this before but for something like that back plate or a round table top, it is usually better to use a higher number of sides in your circles. On the other hand, for small details, it's generally not worth the excess entity count and it'll just slow your computer down if you use high segment counts throughout.

And, as for you, Mr. Ambassador, .......... yeah, I shoulda used more facets on the circles. The main thing I was working on with this effort was making the glass globes and the metal covers over them. I'll 'splain it to ya, if you'd like! :D

I think it was a great exercise, Bill. Keep it up, will ya? i'm glad to see my students advancing right along.

I've been thinking on the next lesson. You might get the extra credit lesson. ;)