Red bud ?

I have what i think is a eastern red bud. The problem is it's about 60 to 70 feet tall,and everything i've been reading says they only get 30 to 40 ft.:huh: Been thinking about taking this tree down. It is just starting to bud out, and there are red buds coming out on it as i type. Does any other tree look like these and come out with the red buds? Also if i do take this tree down is it good for turning? The reason i'm thinking of taking this down is it has a few burls on it and i want them.:D:thumb::rofl: Heere is a couple pics i took a few min ago.001 [800x600].jpg003 [800x600].JPG004 [800x600].JPG

Last edited:
defintly not a good tree for turning steve you need to go find something else,, maybe more blow downs form the storms in the past but yu shouldnt take a cute little tree like that just because it has some acne:)

defintly not a good tree for turning steve you need to go find something else,, maybe more blow downs form the storms in the past but yu shouldnt take a cute little tree like that just because it has some acne:)
:rofl::rofl: Well man the only things that want to fall down on my place is them crappy old pine trees. And they don't want to fall till there so rotten they ain't any good for anything. Besides that acne might be contagious and we woun't want that now would we?:D:rofl:

I've never seen a redbud that tall or straight. Are the buds red or purple like in this picture? redbud.jpg They call it a redbud but to me it should be a purple bud.:D Because of our crazy warm winter we have some maples breaking dormancy but I haven't noticed any redbuds. I'm worried all this stuff will bud out and we'll get a hard frost and bight all the buds back.

Here's a couple of pics of some pen blanks and a chunk off a log I cut awhile back. For me I tend to get surface checking and it moves a lot. I've got two pieces this size and as soon as I cut them I coated all sides with anchorseal. One has some bad surface checks. The wood has a lot of yellow when fresh cut, but turns a nice brown fairly quickly. redbud 22 (Medium).jpg redbud log.jpg

Last edited:
I've never seen a redbud get that big, but they don't do real well here in Iowa. I have the stump of one that died in my front yard a few years ago that I'm planning on cutting into blanks this weekend. Your tree should give you a few blanks...:thumb: