Jig Saws

Rob Keeble

Ok so i want to purchase a new jig saw. Bosch is on my favorite brand list the thing is which model and what config. Barrel or handle?
Had i been a member here years and years ago i would have only had to buy once. But thats spilt milk so after using my skil unit and nearly having every bone in my hand vibrate to bits i am gonna get a decent one.

Whats your recommendations help and advise required please.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

You're in for a very pleasant surprise. Barrel or top handle will be a totally personal preference. I'm a barrel guy but do wish that the variable speed trigger switch was used like on the top handled 1590. The barrel is easier for me to control but again, this is up to the user. The step down from the 1590 used to be the 18-something or other. I do not even find that guy anymore and no surprise; the blade change mechnism was way too fussy. The 1591 is just a one touch blade change. I assume the newer JS470E and JS470EB (barrel) would have the same(?). They seem to be the 1590 and 1591 usurpers. I cannot comment on them directly. But, quick blade change, blade guides and variable speed should be top of your list. I have the dust collection which was an inexpensive add-on. The blower could be better. I would not go a model down to save $30 or $40 as a good high-end jigsaw is a joy forever in my limited experience. I went from the B&D jumpin-jack to the 1591VS . . . no comparison. I wasn't even sure they were the same type of tool :D:D:D

Last edited:
Thanks Larry and Glenn, you hit the right description for my current piece of junk. Jumping vibrating jack :)

The problem i am finding is Bosch have so many models.

Definitely not going to get a cheap one. Will do some more research.

I definately prefer a barrell grip jigsaw. I have had three such jig saws, two of them Festool and one Bosch. Of the three, my favourite is the Festool Triton PS 300 EQ. It is joy to use -so much better than the jigsaws I struggled with in the olden days.

Oh boy did some research on Bosch and they have so many models. Gonna have to get to a store and get one of these in my hands. Off the cuff i read one of the manuals for the 159x series and like the idea of the variable speed handle type. The barrel type is kinda on off at the set variable speed as was already pointed out in this thread. That seems like a neat worthwhile feature to have when starting a cut but dunno???
The festool seems to me is nearly a third of the cost more for little difference to the good pro Bosch models.
Then there appears to be a new version out any one have one of the new series. Not sure they are a step up from the 159x series apart from slightly more power. But 6.4 versus 7 amps well either are 50% more than i got now.

Man-oh-man are you correct!....try a bottom of theline Harbor Freight with good blades and I can cut all day long

Oh boy did some research on Bosch and they have so many models. Gonna have to get to a store and get one of these in my hands. Off the cuff i read one of the manuals for the 159x series and like the idea of the variable speed handle type. The barrel type is kinda on off at the set variable speed as was already pointed out in this thread. That seems like a neat worthwhile feature to have when starting a cut but dunno???
The festool seems to me is nearly a third of the cost more for little difference to the good pro Bosch models.
Then there appears to be a new version out any one have one of the new series. Not sure they are a step up from the 159x series apart from slightly more power. But 6.4 versus 7 amps well either are 50% more than i got now.

Go with Festool rather than Bosch. It's not as confusing to do so and you will get what I consider to be a better saw. (and I have both so can compare).

I've got an older model Bosch, #1587AVS top handle, that has been used and abused and keeps smiling every time I plug her in...
It's too good, as it shows my unsteady hand in every cut :eek::thumb:

I second this. Mine's been through the mill, cutting everything from 1-1/4" solid epoxy lab counter top, granite, glass, plastics, and wood. If the thing blew up tomorrow i wouldn't hesitate to buy another Bosch, but it cuts as smoothly as it did when it was new. Their blades are great, and the variable speed trigger switch in the top handle allows me to start slowly on cuts or slow down for curves. I've used barrel models before and like some things about them. When i feel like it, i push in the trigger lock and hold my top handle model like a barrel model. To me it's just a personal preference.

Mine's the 1584AVS barrel grip. It's somewhere around twenty years old; has seen a lot of work; and still works like new. A few years ago, I picked up a 1587 AVS at a garage sale (ten bucks) that is also like new. I like it, too, but blade changes ("Click" system) are easier on the barrel grip. The other one requires a tool.

BTW, I've tried my brother-in-law's new Milwaukee - even with Bosch blades in it - but I still prefer my old Bosch.

A machinist friend has the 1584 or the 1581 (older models) and couldn't strongly recommend them enough. He has used his with metal blades to cut up vehicle frames for hot rod projects.
A store we both frequent had the 1587 for $60 so I bought it. One day I needed mine, and it was loaned out, so I went out and bought the 1590 (nobody here has the barrel models in stock). The blade change mechanism makes it SOOOO much nicer.
I haven't had access to the Festool or the barrel grip models and as I like to get a feel for a tool before I buy it, I am happy with my choice. That said, I have heard others say that the barrel model isn't as good for left handed people due to the control locations.

Thanks all for the input. I am most fortunate to be part of this family as i will be visiting one of our members here who has both Bosch and Festool to get a first hand look.

Given my undying loyalty to Lee Valley since they now stock Festool i gotta say i am leaning that way simply because the stores here that stock Bosch dont deserve any of my coin. Certainly not the Home Depot.

There are times i wished one could make special orders with a store like LV to order a tool like this just so you can one stop shop.