Next Homework Exercise?

Dave Richards

How about a turned octagonal column for a table pedestal?

Bill's zooming ahead so perhaps he'd like to give that a go. :D

For the rest of you, let's build off that little box from before. This time it's an inset drawer with half-blind dovetails on the front, through dovetails in the back and a bottom with the edges beveled to fit into grooves in the front and sides.

Dimensions are at your discretion but it should be of a usable size. The pull is extra credit and the screw is extra-extra credit. ;)

GEE thanks dave:( i thought i wasoff till next fall:) and i am glad your giving the teachers pet another harder on that way he can teach us slower folks when your busy:)

Sorry, Larry. Class isn't over yet. :D

I'm trying to be a good teacher and keep all my students challenged. I am a little surprised Bill hasn't completed it yet, though. ;)

By the way, even if folks aren't sure how to draw the turned post, think about how you might go about it and describe what you think could work

gotta take advantage of them when you can dave.. the old warriors used to do that all the time:) he didnt even have his spell check on or he was translating it to my language:) "rally"

you dont have the segments bill:) like dave did.. i know dont critgue if you can do it.. but i can see it:)

Yep. I knew I wasn't going to have the segments the way I was creating the turned portions. About the time I was finishing the drawing, I thought of a way to have segments in the turned area. I'm working on that now. ;)

I played around with a couple of things, then took the "easy" way out and made the turned portion by doing a FollowMe around a circle. About the time I was finishing the drawing, it struck me to apply the pattern to a half-octagon and use a circle as the FollowMe route. I got that part done now and am working through the rest of the assembly.

I'm not sure I follow the "half octagon" part but the rest sounds good. I used Follow Me for the turning but I only used one stave component which was then copied in a radial array to form the rest.

coming from behind the scenes,, this selecting one segment and getting the profile.. could this profile flow around in a circle and just profile what it hit en-route like a tool would do? kinda like a orbit around the segment

Larry, you can most certainly use Follow Me (and Push/Pull) to sweep the profile of a cutter through the part. In fact, that's essentially what I did on the little box with the fancy top. It's what I did and I assume Bill did on the octagonal column, too. You can think of the volume of space a cutter would move through and remove the wood that it hits on its travel. I'll post a shot of how I did it later.