It Just Needed It....

Stuart Ablett

The top of my workbench was getting a big funky, I've been working on too many non-woodworking things, fixing my trailer, fixing bicycles etc, so tonight I dug out the hand planes and had a go....

IMG_3076.jpg

I used my #4 1/2 to go across and diagonally first then....

IMG_3079.jpg

... the #7 to go lengthwise, followed by the #4 1/2 again to make it nice and smooth.

Lastly a new coat of Watco Natural Oil....

IMG_3081.jpg

... almost good as new!

Now back to work on that darn humidor!!

Stu, that really cleaned up nice, but I'm too lazy for that. I keep a piece of red rosin paper (the kind roofers use) on my bench at all times and change it out when it gets too funky.

Like new, but with character! :thumb:

Stu, why didn't you put your end vice on the other corner, so it would work on the "front" of the bench? Schwarz seems to suggest that, but I'm sure you had a good reason.

Like new, but with character! :thumb:

Stu, why didn't you put your end vice on the other corner, so it would work on the "front" of the bench? Schwarz seems to suggest that, but I'm sure you had a good reason.

The leg vice works on the front of the bench, the face vice I put on the end, so I can use it like an end vice, I can use the dog holes on the table and the vice to hold stuff length wise on the bench.

If I ever build another one (never say never!!) I'll invest in a wagon wheel vice, they are very cool!

:thumb::thumb::thumb: Is there a name for the joint you used for the legs to top connection?

The CoC prevents me from telling you what I called it while making it :eek: :rolleyes:

I guess it would be a combo through tenon and through dovetail joint.

If I ever make another I'll cut the wooden beam in half so I can cut those joints with the skill saw, then glue the two halves back together, much easier.

The leg vice works on the front of the bench, the face vice I put on the end, so I can use it like an end vice, I can use the dog holes on the table and the vice to hold stuff length wise on the bench.

If I ever build another one (never say never!!) I'll invest in a wagon wheel vice, they are very cool!

Okay, that makes sense. What I meant was, is there a reason you didn't put the end vise on the other corner at the same end of the bench and have the dog holes running along the front edge?
But, now that I think about it, having it along the "back" edge would allow you to clamp something there without interfering with work you might have going on out front involving your leg vise and/or sliding deadman.

The reason I'm so curious about this is, I have an extra quick release vise that I'm planning to set up as an end vise.:)

Okay, that makes sense. What I meant was, is there a reason you didn't put the end vise on the other corner at the same end of the bench and have the dog holes running along the front edge?
But, now that I think about it, having it along the "back" edge would allow you to clamp something there without interfering with work you might have going on out front involving your leg vise and/or sliding deadman.

The reason I'm so curious about this is, I have an extra quick release vise that I'm planning to set up as an end vise.:)

I think you have my reasoning down, so far, it has not caused me any trouble, I would not change it, but it also depends on the layout of your shop. I don't have a lot of space, as you know, you've been down there, so I thought that having the end vice on that end gave me move room to move around. I wish my shop was about 2' wider, well really about 24' wider, but you know what I mean. On the other end it would be constantly fighting for space near the SCMS, Big Blue and the jointer, kind of crowded down that end. I also use that vice to hold my metal working vice, which is attached to a large chunk of wood that I clamp into the face vice, easy access to the hand tool cabinet right next too it.

Cheers!