Drum sander

I saw that small jet and looked like it might fit the bill. I'm making small gift boxes. Have you had any issues with this unit thus far, like tracking.

Thanks

I saw that small jet and looked like it might fit the bill. I'm making small gift boxes. Have you had any issues with this unit thus far, like tracking.

Thanks

I've had my 10-20 for about eight years, and it's seen a lot of use. It's been a very good, reliable tool - once I got used to how it works. It's NOT a planer! 1/64" is a big bite for it. 1/128" is better for wider stock, and varying the feed rate is necessary both for a better surface and also to minimize stalling.

Doing stock wider than the drum won't be perfect. There'll be a slight bump at the overlap, but it's so slight that it can be cleaned up in a few seconds of scraping or hand sanding.

Dust collection (not a shop vac) is required, as these things really generate a lot of dust, and if it's not removed, it'll clog up both the sandpaper and the feed belt.

I use mine a lot when re-sawing. A couple passes thru the Performax (now Jet) makes veneers or other thin stock "ready-to-use."

You asked about tracking - it's never been a problem. The feed belt (actually a 10" wide sanding belt) needs tracking adjustments when it's installed, and again after a few hours use, but other than that very little maintenance is needed.

When you start out, buy your sanding strips pre-cut - I'd recommend a 'variety pack.' Then, after you've figured out which grit you'll be mostly using (for me, it's 120), buy a bulk roll and use one of the pre-cuts as a template to cut your own. Much cheaper that way.

The 10/20 is a great little sander. I really like mine. If you're doing a lot of cabinet doors, etc, I'd recommend stepping up to the 16-32, or even the 22-44, but both of those are a lot more money.

My only issues have been user issues like getting to aggressive with it and blowning it's built-in breaker.

Yep! Like i said: It's NOT a planer! 1/64" is a big bite for it. 1/128" is better for wider stock, and varying the feed rate is necessary both for a better surface and also to minimize stalling.

Check out the used market sometimes your can get a good deal, I found a 22/44 sometime back for $600 but didn't have the cash, it went fast.

Heh, this was added to my wish list when I was doing (err still am doing - weekend warrior and all that) ~140 small slats. I'm past where it would be useful for this project at this point, but I can foresee others... like clouds on the horizon. So timely.

$600 for a 22/44 boy I wish. A fellow down the road wants $1400 for a used 22/44 ("no low ballers" ok yeah good luck I suppose). If he could get below a grand I'd talk to him :D I've seen 16/32's for sub $800 semi regularly (although to far to drive.. so far..).

I've also been trolling for a woodmaster, if a used one came up at the right price (and they appear to occasionally) I'd take that instead (mostly for the sander, but hey a molding machine would be pretty sweet to have so I'd pay the premium).

I have a 38" Woodmaster which has performed very well for me. I have no complaints and It handles all of my projects from smallest to largest(with proper planning of course) What I like about it over the open sided models is that the open sided models have no support on the outer end and there is a certain amount of flex on the head which can make for an uneven surface. That said even with my 7.5 hp motor the key is very very light passes. Dont skip grits. A 38 inch is probably more than you will need for small projects and a new one may be beyond your 1250 budget. But a used one may very well meet your budget. And if you have the space.
I got mine used about 5 years ago and Woodmasters service has been excellent in getting me what I needed to restore it and keeping me supplied with anything I need.

I just picked up the Jet 16-32 with tables for 15% off from Woodcraft, ordered casters from eBay seller Sescasterco, and 3 rolls of abrasives from Industrial Abrasives and spent right about that.

My Ryobi was decent, but this is WAY better. More rigid, more power, better DC, and the auto-reduction on speed is nice.

Well I just ordered the 16-32. I've had two projects in the last month that it would have saved me ~6+ hours on total so under the (dubious) theory that the future has some resemblance to the past... incoming.

Loml doesn't know about it yet, when I'd mentioned getting one before she was like "so.. uh where are you going to put it out there", no worries I have a place (somewhere :dunno: we'll figure it out :rofl:)

I waffled a bit around the 22-44, but the space issue kind of forced my hand (yeah I could fit it, but it would be terribly tight). If I ever see a good deal on a woodmaster, maybe I'll trade up and make it work. The classifieds around here weren't helpful - people were asking close to new on a lot of what I was seeing (how do you figure that! :huh:).

:woot: :woohoo:

16-32 arrived yesterday. I still need to unbox it and set it up (I'm also thinking I need to build a new stand for it... all that wasted space underneath won't fly). Sadly we have visitors until Thursday and then Friday I'm going over to a friends to see what we can salvage out of the walnut tree that blew over so won't actually get to it until the weekend or maybe early next week.

You're gonna like the 16-32. I got mine 2 years ago. A used Performax on CL........................200 bucks :eek::D:D When I saw the ad on a Sunday morning asking $250, my wife said "You better go get it" (Wonderful lady) A 45 minute drive and ask "best price" he said "200" I paid, I loaded, I left grinning big. No gun, no mask, he was happy and I have been ever since.

Enjoy your new toy.:thumb:

Also, I bought bulk roll paper from Klingspor and used the original roll as a pattern to cut replacements. Save some major $$ that way.:wave:

Don, normally that would NOT be the case... I plead extenuating circumstances beyond my control... :tantrum: and I'd be on it Friday as well if there wasn't a huge chunk of black walnut with my name on it (I've seen the log, I have not measured the log.. its kanted up in the air where I couldn't get to it easily.. it looks to be more than 18" around :D, I'll try to remember to take some pics but sometimes I get excited with doing stuff and forget). I'm seriously afraid that Saturday will be feeling the vortex with all that walnut as well... spin spin spin :eek: but I'll need to play with^W^W setup the sander to clear the space to get back the pieces back to the bandsaw/lathe anyway :D I ended up taking mon/tues/wed off to catch up :D

Thanks Vaughn, that's a great looking base. I'll have to give the flip top some serious thought... I also picked up the extension tables so will have to think about how that affects the layout. I'd like to be able to use the underside for storage as well, but the usable flat surface space is pretty tempting. The more ideas the merrier at this point, I'm certainly not above borrowing someone elses design because odds are there are better ones than I'd come up with from scratch, y'all have some good ideas :salute:

have the chance to get a gently used ( almost not at all ) performax 16-32 for 750. is thius a good deal? maybe not as good as 200 but ... ?
I sold my 16-32 for $750, but threw in a substantial stock of sandpaper. That is certainly top dollar for a used machine. It is too much if it is the older model (smaller dust port - really needs the 4 inch). The latest model slows the feed rate rather than popping the breaker if your cut is too deep - GREAT feature, since it allows you to automatically determine the max cut. (If you don't have that feature, I recommend an ammeter to set speed/depth of cut).