Not what I wanted to be doing...

Bill Arnold

Staff member
...but ya gotta do what ya gotta do! Yep, I had to mow our lawn yesterday afternoon in lieu of shop time. It's just now time to put out the weed & feed fertilizer to kick-start the growing season. Yeah, right! I was cutting 2-3" of grass yesterday with my rider set to a 3" cutting height. We had a near-record high temperature yesterday after a couple nights of hard freeze two weeks ago! You'd think it was April already with everything starting to blossom, the birds singing and me - having to mow!!!

(On the other hand, at least it's not like we're still in Florida where I had to mow in January!)

To stay healthy, our lawn in LA needs to be mowed every two weeks in the winter (weekly from spring through fall). Turns out, LOML hasn't mowed it since I came to NM in December, despite my showing her how to start and run the mower. (Self-propelled Toro.) So last weekend she finally decided to mow, and somehow in the process managed to let the smoke out of the self-propulsion mechanism. :bang: Probably just a toasted drive belt, but instead of me just fixing it, she's going to have to get help from someone to load it up take it to the repair shop, then we'll have to pay out the nose for what's probably a simple repair.

In the meantime, the grass is still getting longer, and it's gonna be even harder for her to mow by the time she gets the mower fixed. (I predict it'll take her a month to handle the logistics.)

Thanks Bill...us northern folks love having our face rubbed in it {your weather...not the grass :D } :huh: now where did I put my parka.....:p

The trick is to limit the amount of grass.......I can 'mow' my front yard with a weed-whacker in about 8 minutes :rofl:
And with 2 large dogs, the backyard never gets a chance to grow grass :doh:

mini-P5271974.JPG

Nyahh Nyahh Nyahh---I do not have any grass, let alone a lawn mower. Many years ago we had a small patch of grass, a triangle about 30 feet on a side. It cost us more to maintain that doggone triangle of grass than all of the rest of the yard. We took the grass out and put in dasies that the automatic sprinkler had to water every now and then. Just think: no moths, almost no weeding, a once or twice a year watering, no allergy sneezing; I feel good all over just thinking of the stuff I don't have to do and the upkeep costs I don't have to spend.

Enjoy,

JimB

Oh yes. You don't have to worry about daisies falling on your head during an earthquake either.

Last edited:
Ah the pleasure of desert landscaping.....:D

I grew up around desert landscaping (and live around a bunch of it now), but never did get to the point where I liked it. Rocks is rocks. :D I'll concede that desert landscaping is a lot easier (and less expensive) to maintain, though. ;)