tiny bathroom vanity and pullout hamper cabinet

allen levine

tiny attic bathroom, sink had a chip in it after I dropped a wrench on it, and my wife wanted it replaced, so instead of the 79 dollar home depot white melamine cabinet, I made one today.
Shes happy, and Ill start the pull out hamper next week after I paint the bathroom, urrrghhh.
I thought about custom made counter tops to span a few cabinets, but after inquiring about prices, I decided to stick with the 29 dollar sink. Noone uses this bathroom except me and my wife. Its a closet, it was put in for convenience.
spent the day trimming up common ash,and garbage white oak getting out the knots, splits, made a ton of rails and stiles for the other cabinets, so Im good to go when I get all the hardware to continue.

the vanity door will be hung higher, just laid it in the picture.(unit will be stained) Cabinetry 101.
larry-I love my new cabinet door bit set.

Attachments

• cabinet 232 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 232 (Medium).jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 86
  • cabinet 233 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 233 (Medium).jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
well, what I discovered today is I know alot less about plumbing than I do about woodworking.
(and thats pretty sad)
I intentionally made this tiny vanity the same size as the old one, but ofcourse, the tail pipe coming out of the old sink was 1/2 inch closer to the wall, and the drain pipes were glued, so in order to get the tail to fit in, it would have to be cut and redone. Something I cannot do.
so I called my plumber, on a friday night, at 6 pm, and he informed me he was on vacation. I told him my problem, and he said he doesnt usually use a flexible tail pipe(whatever the pipe from the sink drain is called)but in a pinch, I could run over to the depot and get a 1.25 inch flexible one and install it.
Ofcourse, once I got it, I had to call him back to make sure I was putting it on correctly.(my son was doing the labor)

I felt like a crum calling him back knowing he was on vacation, but I didnt want to go a few days without the sink since I ripped the old one out.
Hes a good guy, he explained it all to both of us, and said hes staying by his phone if I needed anymore help, dont worry about calling him back.

this is the reason Ive been using him since 1982, .
we finally got it installed, no leaks, sealed it all, put up a new light, now I can back to woodworking and make a few more cabinets and medicine chest.

nah, like I said, what do I know about plumbing.
the new flex pipe didnt work, it was a slow drip this morning whenever I turned on the sink.
I opened the trap plug to make sure it was clean, not the problem.
My plumber told me to leave it alone till monday, hell be home by then

I did get my first part of my sons kitchen redo sanded and ready for staining today.
(the old pantry hes keeping, built into the wall)

heres the simple medicine cabinet to match the vanity.
me think it might have been wiser to finish the mirror frame before I glued it up.

Attachments

• cabinet 234 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 234 (Medium).jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 13
  • cabinet 235 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 235 (Medium).jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 14
hamper is finished.
didnt have to use my good stash of ash for this, so I worked through the knotty and twisted ash I purchased for under 2.00 a board foot(and alot of it was tossed in since the guy I bought it from didnt want to sort through it himself)
16 inch over full extension 150 lb slides.
I didnt build the hamper to be a attached to the cabinet so I can replace it if I need too.
Not sure why the top edge of the raised panel really soaked up the stain, tried to sand it down, nothing seemed to help, and I need a nice spinned bowl to put all her little doodad bottles in.
nothing exciting.
when I get back I will install my sons microwave with him, YES, he did the wiring and outlet yesterday, and knock off the face frames of the uppers and get busy making him new doors and frames. should be quite an experience, no settling there, if I dont like a door, it gets redone.

Ive been spending most of my time cleaning up shop and rearranging my shed this week.
Went to put the drum sander away in the shed, and the new castors I purchased, well, one of them went flat, and that made moving the thing difficult. Ticks me off I spend 20 dollars a castor and its gone already.

Attachments

• cabinet 253 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 253 (Medium).jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 11
  • cabinet 254 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 254 (Medium).jpg
    66 KB · Views: 13
  • cabinet 255 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 255 (Medium).jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited: